New
Find
Notify
Tools

sierra pro hunter bullets
 Login/Join

<birddog3>
posted
i am hunting elk this fall, and would like some opinoins on sierra's pro hunter bullets. i am planning on using a 06 and loading the 180 gr pro hunter behind 55.5 grs of imr4350, the load shoots well, but i want bullet performance also...don't plan on shooting over 300 yds...

one of us
posted Hide Post
i posted on the sierra not to long ago got good response.use them on deer in n.c. in 165 grain. not getting great penetration on
large bodied whitetail. have never hunted elk yet,but would advise to go controlled expansion on elk. have taken about 65 deer and small game with pro hunter. best of luck and hunting......use 06 also

Posts: 66 | Location: garner n.c. usa | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Birddog3
First,welcome to the forum!
Considering this is your first post we will cut you some slack
BUT around here if you don't use sierra matchkings for hunting and shoot longer than 300yds you will have big problems
Check out the topic
"Seirra matchking...Not a hunting bullet"
in the reloading forum!
for the difinitive treatise on seirra bullets.

(sorry I couldn't resist)

Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Your choice will work fine if you shoot to hit the heart / lungs and not the on-side shoulder. The '06 isn't fast enough to make them come apart and if you do your part you'll have a mess to deal with! Happy Hunting.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 45/70 prohunter 300 gr sierra's HP's. They are ideal for thin skinned stuff rapid expansion acceptable penetration. But I would not use them for tougher game they shed there core even on G.H's.

Regards PC

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
I shot a spike buck through the lower neck(80 yards) using the 140 grain pro-hunter in my 7x57 at a muzzle velocity of around 2,600. He went down hard of course but did some kicking since I missed the spine. When I went to him the entry hole was only marked by what looked like the little bump a tick makes when it is under the hair. However, he was laying in a pool of blood so I pull his head up and he has an exit hole big enough for my fist to fit into. Only flesh was hit on a tender little yearling so I think the pro-hunter, although a very accurate bullet, is also a rather soft bullet. Go with a nosler-partition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 180 grain Pro Hunter on a neck shot to down a 275 pound feral hog and it missed the spine but took out everything under it and made a large exit hole.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the Pro Hunter on Deer and Antelope sized animals, but would go to a "tougher" bullet for Elk.

Partition, A-Frame, Grand Slam etc.

[This message has been edited by Terry Blauwkamp (edited 04-04-2002).]

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The key to harvesting Elk size game is proper bullet selection, and shot placement. To light or to heavy a jacket and bad things will happen. If you load your own you have many more bullets to choose from. I favor the 165 gr. PSP Remington Cor-Lokt bullet in the 30-06 for Elk. Some rifles shoot the Nosler Partition bullets very poorly. The Partition bullet does perform very well on game. The Sierra Pro-Hunter bullet is very accurate and is not as popular on Elk size game.