New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement stock for Ruger Mod.77
 Login/Join

<Rockhammer>
posted
I have a Ruger 77 MkII in 6mmRem. with factory walnut stock. This rifle is a m.o.a. or less shooter with several handloads. Problem is it is just too darn heavy for the caliber. I varmint and deer hunt with it and I find that due to its weight I am using it less. If any of you have replaced the stock on similar rifles to reduce weight I would be interested in hearing about your results. Please don't offer suggestions that require alot of stock work for I am not that talented, a drop-in is what I need. Thanks - Rockhammer

<harkm>
posted
Rockhammer, Doesn't the Ruger77 Mark II only weigh 7 lbs.?

<DuaneinND>
posted
Most of the so called "drop in" stocks are almost as heavy as your factory wood stock. In order to save enough weight to make it worthwhile you need a true fiberglass/kevlar type stock which will save a pound or more in weight.

<Rockhammer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by harkm:
Rockhammer, Doesn't the Ruger77 Mark II only weigh 7 lbs.?

I failed to mention I am rehabilitating my shoulder from rotator cuff surgery and every pound I can eliminate is a plus. - Rockhammer

<robsguns>
posted
You might want to consider another problem, if you are shooting a gun that may develop recoil. Every pound you take off is going to result in more recoil, not something your bad shoulder needs to endure, think about it. Other than that, I'd say stick with what you've got, it is light actually. Or just lay off shooting until you're better, which may not be all that bad of an idea.

<sure-shot>
posted
Wear a shoulder pad, a Mag Plus or Bob Allen would help your shoulder greatly. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a Decelerator recoil pad. Have three of them on my heavy recoilers and found them to help. Also have rotator cuff problems!!

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Rockhammer>
posted
I appreciat everyones comments suggestions and help. The problem isn't recoil. A 6mm Rem. doesn't recoil much at all, it is the bloody weight of the rifle. It is way to heavy, unecessary for the caliber. Just carrying it and lifting it to my shoulder is a chore. Yes I could wait until my shoulder gets better but the truth is at my age I don't have that many more years to hunt and I don't want to pass up any opportunities! Just need to trim some weight from the package. Again thanks for the friendship and suggestions.
Rockhammer

<sure-shot>
posted
Restock it in a McMillan w/lite fill and be done with it! Stock will weigh in about 2lbs ready I believe.www.mcmfamily.com