THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Barnes bullet Reports-Triple Shock

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Barnes bullet Reports-Triple Shock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am a big proponent of X bullets, but they are too hard IMHO for deer.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
Fjold..........

"WOW"........

That is just awesome........

I don't think that I'm going to be able to look at life the same way anymore.......

Cam

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Fjold..........

"WOW"........

That is just awesome........

I don't think that I'm going to be able to look at life the same way anymore.......

Cam

Dang, I wish I could see this thing!!

As far as TSXs go, I have nothing but good to say about them. I used 225 grainers in my .338 Win in Africa on a variety of animals ranging in size from a jackal at 70 yards or so to a kudu bull at 315 yards. Most of them exited. I did recover a couple from the longer shots or tough animals (315 kudu, 286 oryx, 130 zebra). These were all picture perfect Xes, just like those shown on the Barnes web page. The only recovered bullet that didn't look perfect came from a wounded hartebeest that I shot in the north end as he ran south. At about 200 yards I hit him just right of the bunghole - the skinners recovered the bullet in the brisket. It was missing one petal.

My dad used 140 grainers in his .270 WSM, also with great results. Most bullets were pass-throughs that showed evidence of perfect expansion. The one .270 bullet we were able to recover came from an impala after it hit the on shoulder (quartering to shot), passed through the chest and guts, and stopped under the hide in the off ham. The zebra and kudu both stopped the bullets too, but we did not find them.

On the four smaller animals (three springbok and a jackal), we got perfect pass-throughs with appropriately sized exit wounds and massive internal damage, indicated good performance. I shot one springbok that was quite close with my .338. He was quarterly tightly away so I put the bullet just in front of his hind quarter, through the guts and chest, and out the front of the chest. The bullet passed through, leaving a 1" or so exit - just beautiful.

Based on about 15 animals with two calibers, I'd say TSXs are hard to beat, even for lighter game where they're really not needed. I'll be using them soon in my .257 AI and 6.5X55 is that says anything.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
225 gr. in a 270WSM????

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote