New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope? Only one in NA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the Pronghorn Antelope the only Antelope Species in North America?

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The pronghorn is a unique species and not related to any other antelope species. There are free-ranging blackbuck antleope in the Edwards Plateau region here in Texas. They were introduced around 1930. The last herd estimate was about 25,000 animals.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are free ranging populations of Gemsbok in New Mexico and Aoudad in Texas. I'm sure there are probably others and other locations.

[ 12-05-2003, 18:44: Message edited by: odie ]

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"There are free ranging populations of Gemsbok in New Mexico"

They're called Oryx in the proclamation but same difference.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Yes they are the only native antelope spieces left in north america... Before the last ice age there were many different spiecis of antleope, wild horses, camels, elephants etc. in NA, but the pronghorn is the only to have made it through the evolutionary process. To bad for us!

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken the pronghorn is not a true antelope but more related to the goat family. The gemsbok or oryx is a member of the gazzelle family. I think the blackbuck that are free ranging in TX are the only true antelope in NA.

Posts: 1531 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Bob says, the Pronghorn is not actually an antelope. Taxonomists say it is more closely related to the goat family (hence the term "prairie goats"), based on structural analysis. I'm unaware of any DNA research to attempt to link them more closely with another particular line of mammals, but I'm sure that science will get around to mapping their genetic chemistry one day. They are likely no more closely related to African and Asian antelopes than they are whitetails. On the other hand, the mountain goat of North America probably IS a branch of the antelope family, with some taxonomists placing them in the same general grouping. Again, maybe molecular chemistry will tell the tale some day.

Otherwise, there are no other native American antelopes. But in addition to the blackbuck, there are also free ranging Nilgai, which like blackbuck, are an Indian species.

[ 12-05-2003, 19:28: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Oryx are not totally free ranging, though. They are confined strictly to the White Sands Missile Range as far as I know and I strongly suspect that any Oryx that strays out of the boundarys would be destroyed.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gazelle is a Genus of the Bovidae family (ruminates, split hooves, horns), with 16 members. It is comprised of the Grant's and Thompson's Gazelle of Eastern Africa, the Dama Gazelle of the Sahara, and other from the African/Middle Eastern area. Oryx have a Genus of their own, as do the Blackbuck and Nilgai.

The Pronghorn Antelope of North America occupies it's own Family and Genus, ANTILOCAPRA. There were 13 Genera of North American antelope beginning in the Miocene era. All are now extinct, except the Pronghorn.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Oryx in New Mexico are basically free-ranging. However, the population on White Sands Missile Range (the original relocation location) is a prohibited hunt with most if not all hunts being once-in-a-lifetime draw hunts. All Oryx which have strayed off the range are also hunted on a depradition type draw hunt with so many permits allowed per month. These hunts apply to all public land off of White Sands Missile Range and any military land, i.e. any open BLM or public lands.

Posts: 232 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote