Find
Notify
Tools

kinda different antelope buck
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
While on a recent walk-about in western Colorado I encountered a 'different' antelope buck. I've seen a lot of scraggly horned antelope but this heart shaped one was kind of neat. The tips of the horns overlapped and were within an inch of each other. Photo quality isn't too good as I use a low tech pocket camera that is over 10 years old.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Neat photo. Over the years I have seen some that were close to a Heart, but never one that good.

They are impressive animals.

Thanks for sharing. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics.

Gets me excited for the upcoming season!

Great photos.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same with me, seen some almost like that but never completely overlapping..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did`nt get a good look at his cutters,but he should score pretty high.If the cutters are 5 or 6 " he is a booner

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure not common to see like that. I've seen two, but, hooks were not over lapping. Just almost on one and 2-3" from it on the other.

Strangest I've seen. had a sheath broken loose apparently and one side was turned out and down. He spooked twice before I could get a shot. The last time ran two miles across another ranch. I shot another one a bit later.

Thanks for sharing the picture, that would make a dandy mount. Also, looks like the L side has 2-3 extra spurs on it.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I did`nt get a good look at his cutters,but he should score pretty high.If the cutters are 5 or 6 " he is a booner

He is super short horned.

The bases of his cutters should be at least a couple inches above his ear tips.

If he is 13 I would be surprised.

He also has no mass. And a very young looking face. This one is 3-4 years old tops.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supposedly, from what I have read a pronghorns ears are approximately 7 inches long on average an can be used to get a rough estimate on how large its horns are.

It is an interesting and unusual set if horns and I would shoot him in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity, but I have to agree that he really isn't all that big. JMO.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
quote:

He is super short horned.

The bases of his cutters should be at least a couple inches above his ear tips.

If he is 13 I would be surprised.

He also has no mass. And a very young looking face. This one is 3-4 years old tops.

The tips of his horns are pearled.The sign of an older buck.The hooks are were he gains many inches.He is way bigger than you think.I have scored quite a few of these and can come pretty close to estimating size.I did say it depends on the cutter length as there was no good shots of hime sideways.I am no expert but have bagged about thirty bucks.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very deceiving buck to score properly. The normal references are difficult when they are not in a usual conformation. Here's a 15"er that goes right at 80" because of the mass, and if he had good prongs would have made book.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Blank, we can't see your photo as PB has 'changed' and doesn't allow 3rd Party Hosting unless you pay for it. Might want to try Imgur or one of the others.

This buck's horns weren't very big and were thin. But certainly unique!.....lots of character.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The tips of his horns are pearled.

I cannot see any lightening in the color of the horns at the tips, they appear black all the way to the end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with BWW he needs at least another year probably 2 to get near his potential. [except I think he is a bit more than 13]

it's a lot easier to judge antelope when you see them every day.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool little buck.

Pronghorns are a mysterious animal with lots of legendary wisdom surrounding their existence.

While this one has some good lower mass, it is only 13" at most. With thin tops and short prongs, this is a low 70" buck at best. With this one, eye appeal trumps score.

I suspect it is fairly old and likely will never get much bigger. The amount of burring and additional non typical growth is rare for a young buck.

Pearling or Ivory is related to conditions of early horn growth, while the preceding horn sheath is still in place. While older bucks are more likely to have more ivory than a young buck, it is not a reliable way to determine age.

The most impressive picture and feature is shown in the second photograph. Those Eyes! Notice how his eyes are visible from directly behind. Pronghorns have 300 degree range of vision. A slight twist of the neck and they can see everything around him.

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this again. I apologize for the first attempt. Did not know of the changes to Photobucket policy.

I seem to be a failure at this new picture process. Anybody help???

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me personally, they are such a unique animal, Natural History wise, as much, if not some ways possibly more, than the Buffalo as a TRUE Spirit of the American West.

In some of the research I have done over the years, some authorities postulate that when Europeans came to America, Pronghorn numbers may have rivaled Buffalo numbers.

For various reasons, I have not had a chance to hunt speedgoats since 1997, but maybe before my string ends I will get the chance, because they are SPECIAL.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post

This is a much older buck, your buck is younger.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Supposedly, from what I have read a pronghorns ears are approximately 7 inches long on average an can be used to get a rough estimate on how large its horns are.

It is an interesting and unusual set if horns and I would shoot him in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity, but I have to agree that he really isn't all that big. JMO.

Like CHC, The book doesn't matter to me that much, but I would collect that boy in a heart beat!
....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldbiker may have killed 30 bucks, but that one in the picture in NOT a B&C buck by any stretch of the imagination. His cutters are small and only at his eartips and the top two mass measurements are very weak. He gains some length due to the curls, but is probably not more than 14" and that's being generous. I've been with a good buddy in Wyoming on five antelope kills over the last five seasons and all were at least 77" total net score. One went right at the yearly awards minimum of 80" and the best one made the all time book at 84 4/8". The smallest of the five was better than this buck! He is very unique, but that's about it!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
Oldbiker may have killed 30 bucks, but that one in the picture in NOT a B&C buck by any stretch of the imagination. His cutters are small and only at his eartips and the top two mass measurements are very weak. He gains some length due to the curls, but is probably not more than 14" and that's being generous. I've been with a good buddy in Wyoming on five antelope kills over the last five seasons and all were at least 77" total net score. One went right at the yearly awards minimum of 80" and the best one made the all time book at 84 4/8". The smallest of the five was better than this buck! He is very unique, but that's about it!

Holy buckets I think topgun and I agree on something! beer

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

Holy buckets I think topgun and I agree on something! beer

I have my moments, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.If the cutters are 5 or 6 " he is a booner

Evidently some folks can`t comprehend what they read.More amazing is how some can determine the length of the cutters with out a side view.I am completely amazed.I wish I had those talents.OB

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I think we are all in agreement that this buck is a bit different and the horns have some unique character about them. Agreed?

'nuff said

P.S. Saw him again within 100 yards of where I say him before, calmly laying down in a light rain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we are all in agreement that this buck is a bit different and the horns have some unique character about them. Agreed?

We may not ALL agree, but I know for absolutely positive, if I saw him, I would punch his ticket, and I would set and be enjoying Mesquite Grilled Speed Goat chops while looking at his European mount!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
.If the cutters are 5 or 6 " he is a booner

Evidently some folks can`t comprehend what they read.More amazing is how some can determine the length of the cutters with out a side view.I am completely amazed.I wish I had those talents.OB

Oh, I think everyone can comprehend what you posted and most are in complete disagreement no matter how many bucks you've taken. Actually nobody stated the length of the cutters in any post on this thread. What was stated is that the base of his cutters is only at his ear tips and the cutters are small. The bottom semi-side view photo essentially shows they are short, but quite sharp. However, they are far from 5 or 6 inches long that you say would make him a booner if they were. That is only two measurements out of many on each horn and those two measurements would not make him a booner even if they were what you stated because of other deficiencies we pointed out. Furthermore, your statement about the pearl tips is bogus just like our other member stated because they have absolutely nothing to do with the age of a buck! If you can show different, please do so with any scientific data you might know about and not just conjecture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We may not ALL agree, but I know for absolutely positive, if I saw him, I would punch his ticket, and I would set and be enjoying Mesquite Grilled Speed Goat chops while looking at his European mount!

Amen to that!! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
So Olbiker, will this one qualify as a Booner??

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
So Olbiker, will this one qualify as a Booner??

Weak tips, but I think he should make it by a couple inches, LOL!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was hoping olbiker would score it for us. Frowner

Sideview just in case he needs it:

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:

I was hoping olbiker would score it for us. Frowner

Sideview just in case he needs it:

Tony, Unit 10 buck?

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The original buck simply isn't that big. Length might be 13 1/2", but I don't think it's that long. Average mass and prongs. He's a pretty buck but I doubt he would score over 72" and I really think he's a bit shy of that, more like 70". No offense to Ol Biker, but I shot an 82 1/2" buck last year that was only 14 3/4" long. He looks much bigger than this buck. Much more mass and prongs right at 7".

Gotta run for now, have to go to bed as I'm leaving at 4:00AM to scout Pronghorns in Nevada. I drew a great tag with 20 bonus points and am searching for a giant. If I kill a buck later this month I'll post a pic of what an actual B&C buck looks like, as I doubt I'll shoot a buck unless he's noticeably bigger than my Arizona buck from last year.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:

Tony, Unit 10 buck?

19A

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe when this original posted buck grows up he will look like this. 93B&C, 18 inches taken public land New Mexico. Not knowledgeable enough to know how to post a picture, maybe someone can help. Picture at www.texas-ltd.com Enjoy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does it really matter what a particular animal scores?

Pronghorns are impressive animals on a couple of levels and relegating them to simply a "Numbers" concept seems wrong.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I like odd horns, last year I helped my brother chase a buck whose horns stuck straight forward after three days we never got him but I shot this guy with an odd paddle point.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does it really matter what a particular animal scores?

Pronghorns are impressive animals on a couple of levels and relegating them to simply a "Numbers" concept seems wrong.

I agree Randall that Pronghorns are in many ways a very impressive and unique animal, they have some attributes that no other game animals have.
However I'll clear something up for you, just because someone "scores" an animal does in no way mean they have thrown out all other levels of admiration for them and "ONLY" care about the score. Just because you feel its wrong in no way makes it wrong that is merely your opinion.

I've been lucky and seen and killed several really good antelope but I've never scored mine.
I guess I've just never gotten around to it. I take no offense to people that score theirs and I find that when people submit a picture with a score it just adds to the animal. I like watching Antelope, I'm lucky enough to live where I see them nearly every day.
I really like seeing the big ones and ones with unique horns, goofy horns or extra points on their horns.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With me, it is just a case of it seems like too many folks place too high of an importance on what a set of antlers/horns "Score", and it also works out to a judgement of the hunter that shot the animal.

I am probably wrong, which is nothing new, but it really seems like that hunters are judging each other based the number of points an animal scores.

I have been watching this for a while now, and it has turned into a "Game" whereby if a person has not taken an "X" sized buck or bull, they are not considered a "REAL" hunter.

It has became a case of "One-upmanship", where if a hunter has not killed a certain level B&C point animal, they are looked down on/not considered a "REAL" hunter.