THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Lucked out and drew a Gator tag for South Carolina's first gator hunt.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lucked out and drew a Gator tag for South Carolina's first gator hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got over the first hurdle, and won the ability to buy a tag. But now I have to figure out how I'm going to go about it.

The only rules we've gotten so far from the DNR is no bait, no rifles, and the gator has to be secured next to the boat or on shore before it can be dispatched. And they can be dispatched with a bangstick, handgun, or knife once they are secured. Minimum lenght is 4 feet. They can be hunted from a boat on "any navigable waters" or from shore on private property. Private property is not an option for me.

Other than that the only info we've gotten so far is a pamphlet will come with the tag and the DNR will host some optional seminars before the season starts, which is on Sept 13th.

Right now I'm thinking bow fish them, or try to get close enough with a boat to harpoon one with a spear which has a head that comes of the pole and is attached to a line then either try to fight them up or let them tow the boat around till they tire. get them to the surface to get a rope around them and them shoot it with a pistol just behind the base of the skull or go all Mic Dundee and sink a knife in behind the skull to severe their spinal cord.

I'm sure the literature and seminars will explain more, but I want the biggest head start on this I can get.

Are there any other methods which might work well that should fit into the parameters I have so far?

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SC's rules sound a lot like Georgia's. Take a look at the GA State site - they have a ton of information. Gotta wrestle the beast and either secure it along side the boat or get it up on shore before you can dispatch it.

I took a shot and put in for one. My wife's family lives in NC. Probably be another day or so for the mail to reach me here in TX.

What area did you get? Are there any guides for SC yet? Looks like getting the proper gear together on your own would start getting a tad pricey, so it there is a guide that has all the kit, it may be worth the cost of a guide. I understand this is the first hunt they have allowed there in about 30 years, so it should be interesting.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew southern coastal area, I know the Cooper River is loaded with'em. So that is were we will probably go. I haven't heard of any guides yet, but I haven't really checked. I can get ahold of or improvise equipment.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Trekker, Congratulations on the Draw. Sounds like you hit the Primo Spot in the draw too. All kinds of Gators in the Cooper.

I hear the Tail is great meat, but was never in Florida at the right time to get any from a buddy. He says it disappears real quick.

I believe " I'd " pass on using the knife until I was sure it was REALLY dead, but a good K-Bar is quite a tool.

Don't know any of the Rules & Regs, so it might be illegal to bait a Shark Hook with chicken and tie the other end to a tree(strong tree).

If you go with the Revolver, have you thought about the Caliber and Bullet?

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 45 colt revolver, but I was thinking of using 45 acp instead because I have better holsters for my 45acp. All my holsters for the 45 colt are western style.