New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a great sheep hunt this year!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have hunted sheep many times, but this years hunt was the best ever.
I packed in a friend and his 14 yearold son, anouther friend and a 15 year old boy. The five of us went deep into good sheep country that is pretty hard for anyone to access.(unless you got horses) The first day we seen close to 60 Rams. Most were anywhere from one to several klometers away. With our backpacks on we started climbing. My friend, his 14yearold son and I went together. 5 hours later we were up top and shortly later, I spotted a band of rams. There was a couple of decent rams in the bunch. They were bedded on a high point on rocky ridge. They could see anything that moved for a km. There was no way to approach so we waited them out till they moved off that ridge. 4 1/2 hours(trying to stay warm in the sleet,wind and rain) later the Rams finally moved off the ridge and dropped down in the bowl below us. Luck was on our side and they slowly fed toward us. 2 hours later they came as close as they were going to get and started to feed away from us, so we exposed ourselves a little so we could take a shot. I had first shot, but I gave it up to my friend's son,Daniel. At 260 yds. he connected on the largest ram. I did not want the other ram so the boys father,Peter, nocked down the other ram before the sheep realized what was going on. After hugs and handshakes, Peter and I headed back down down a little ways to get our packs. On our way there, 5 more rams that we had missed seeing, run out into the bowl below us. Right away it was easy to tell that one was worth taking. 3 rams ran one way and the 2 larger ones ran the other way across the valley in front of us. The big ram stopped on the other side of the valley and looked back. Even though the shot was long, I decided to take it. Moments after the shot the Ram fell. We now had 3 full curl rams down on the mountain. My ram was 39 1/4" X 14 1/4" bases. Pete's ram was 38 1/2" X 13 1/4" bases. Daniel's ram was 37 3/4" X 13 1/2".
We packed out some meat and lifesize cape and arived at camp at 2 O'clock in the morning. Next day went back and got caught in a snow storm. Could not see more than 50 feet. Built cairns to find our way back. Had difficulty in finding out rams in the snow and rock. Packed out only two rams. Pete carried 100 lbs. I carried 80lbs. It was treacherous going out. got back to camp at 1 AM. The next day it was beautiful. On the way up we bumped into a large, almost black grizzly. He was only 50 yards away. Although I had a tag. I decided not shoot him for I was more concerned about getting my ram out while we had good weather. Took some video of the bear. Seen the same bear again while we were trailing out the next day. Decided not shoot him again because we did not really have the room on the horse now. One lucky bear.
We all had a great time together and good teamwork. The horses worked hard and behaved, allthough one horse had eaten all my bagels cause some one left the strap undone on the pack box.
I just got back last night. This hunt was really special and I hope I am not boring anyone, I just wanted share it with you.
I have got some cool pictures I would like to post but I do not know how to do it yet. I have tried before with no success. When I figure it out I will post some.

Daryl

[ 08-26-2003, 20:10: Message edited by: Yukoner ]

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Sounds awsome Daryl! I'll check back for the pics.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Great story...Thanks for sharing.
And good on you to help that young man kill his
ram first.
Can't wait for the pics
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time! Congrats to you and all those within your party. Kudos also for knowing when to say when and not shooting that grizzly and instead focusing on the animal that was down. That same choice might not have been made by all.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was a terrific story, of a terrific hunt. I would only dream of a hunt like that... [Smile]

Perhaps someone can help with the pics? Anybody got server space?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt! Thanks for posting the story and can't wait to see the pics! Can you e-mail the pics to www.nebraska01@cox.net? If so, I can try and post 'em for ya.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a heart-warming story. Since you allowed your friend's son the first shot on a quality ram without any regrets or qualms, payback was just wonderful! How many times will you get a second chance for a full curl trophy after giving up first opportunity to a kid? Looking forward to your pics. [Cool] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Great story, Daryl!

Posting pics insn't too hard, but you need to upload them to a web based photo site, like Imagestation.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much for your report. I would dearly love to one day hunt sheep but the odds are slim. Reading of others success is quite enjoyable though. We are proud to be associated with you, Rufous.

[ 08-26-2003, 06:08: Message edited by: rufous ]

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

That was a great story! Where did you hunt? Did you have a guide?

Wayne

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Boring us.. Youve got to be joking! Storys like that are one of the best things about Accurate reloading IMO. You just dont get good reads like that in the gun rags anymore, I mean real life adventures by real world people that make you feel like your there. Good stuff!

Thanks for sharing it with us! You northern folks are really blessed. [Wink]

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Congrats [Big Grin]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,
Congratulations on the 3 awsome sheep!! Killing 3 rams of that size all at once will take some doing to top.
Can someone please give Daryl some instructions on posting those pictures... I am dying to see them.
If my sheep hunt coming up this Sunday is even half the sucess yours was I will be very pleased.

Weidmannsheil

TK

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl, that sounds like an awful hunt, and the trophies must have been something to behold (39+ x 14+ - wow!).

Much Weidmannsheil!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story! I can't wait for the photos!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Awesome story Daryl! Congrats on such a rewarding and successful hunt. I have been dreaming of sheep hunting since about mid-July, but it won't happen this year as I am stuck behind a desk and have committed to using all my holidays to visit my girlfriend back "home". Your story is just what I needed. Thanks.

If you e-mail me the pics I'd be happy to post them for you. I'll e- you my work addy.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I hope I'll only *see* some legal rams, that'll make me happy enough.

Makes me even more sad though that K-country got closed up on us, due to the fire hazard....if I understood this incorrectly, can one of the Albertans enlighten me! I wanted to go scouting, see.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans,
Take heart, it is supposed to rain either on wednesday or thursday, this should be enough to lift the back country travel ban.

good luck this year,
TK

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW. Great story. It is a dream of mine to hunt sheep, but I doubt it will ever happen. You are a great friend to do all you did on the hunt. Sounds like you guys had the hunt of 20 lifetimes. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Daryl
You can't leave us sheepaholics in the lurch...
Pictures,we need pictures...
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys can't keep pressuring him for photos! Frankly, I'm surprised they have computers up there in the wilds of The Yukon . . . much less scanners. [Wink]

Just kidding Daryl!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, for the wait. I have sent pictures off to A.R members to post for me but I have not heard back from them. I logged on to Hunt101 but I haven't figured out how to upload the pictures yet. I keep promising that I will learn how to use these damned things. The positive side is that my computer is still in one piece.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Daryl
E-mail me the pics,I'll post them
Jeff

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Daryl's pics...AWESOME

Try again
 -

[ 09-10-2003, 23:59: Message edited by: JeffP ]

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Lets try image station
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ 09-10-2003, 22:59: Message edited by: Canuck ]

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Jeff, Hope you don't mind...I did a little tinkering to your post to get them to show. You had the link to the thumbnail, not the actual picture. Thanks for posting them, though. I have been dying to see Daryl's pics!

Daryl, Great pics and great rams! Glad you had another awesome trip. One of these days I'll convince my 'bro to go on a trip together in YT. Too bad sheep don't qualify for permits to accompany!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Canuck
Thanks...was wondering where I went SNAFU.
Jeff