Find
Notify
Tools

What are you Hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
Since starting a new job in January, I pretty much only have time this year for deer and hogs. No plans for travel, just hunting in Northeast Texas.

I'll probably hunt with my Kimber 257R with 120 Interlock HP or 70 FW 7-08 with 160 Speer Magtips. I may also use my Ruger Ranch in 6.8spc with 120 SSTs.

Next 5 years, I'd like to do nilgai, javelina and free range axis, aoudad. I have a 350 Rem Mag that would be good Nilgai medicine.

What are you hunting this year? What's on your list for the next 5 years?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Odocoileus virginianus, I do believe...

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I will get everything worked out and Lora and I will head for Wyoming to hunt she speed goats.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt my lease(s) in Texas for the usual deer/hogs/turkey/varmints/birds. My dad came down with Leukemia in 08. Haven't been out of state hunting since then. I've scheduled a bear hunt with hounds in NM in August, and drew an elk cow tag in Colorado for December. Looking forward to the coming season. I love getting to experience the outdoors in other states.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
So far in 2012 I've killed a cow elk and 4 deer. My original plans were to continue doing ag-damage deer control for the rest of the year, following up with another cow elk hunt in December or January.

But a few weeks ago my employer dropped a bomb, one that I didn't see coming. Those plans have been changed.

The company I work for had a regional manager's meeting and a dinner afterwards. I'm not a regional manger and didn't attend the meeting but I was invited to the dinner. In fact, the owner of the company insisted that I attend the dinner. Why not? Who in their right mind turns down a free fancy dinner?

After eating the owner stood up and gave a speech in which he reminisced starting the company 32 years ago and "what a ride it has been." Then he said "I want to take this opportunity to congratulate someone who's been with this company for 30 of those 32 years. (He was taking about 'yours, truely.') The boss made a few more congratulatory remarks and then said "we all know about Bill's passion for hunting. It's almost scary." Then he unrolls a brochure. I recognized the logo of Kiowa Hunting Services, the outfitter with whom I've gone on 10 cow elk hunts.

Behind my back the boss contacted Kiowa and set up a New Mexico trophy rut mule deer hunt, paid for by the company. It was a complete surprise! I was almost in tears..

That's my big hunt for the year. In the next 5 years I'd sure like to go for a moose but I don't know if I can find a moose hunt that I can physically handle.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats.
Hopefully you will post details and pix of your hunt.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigasanelk:
So far in 2012 I've killed a cow elk and 4 deer. My original plans were to continue doing ag-damage deer control for the rest of the year, following up with another cow elk hunt in December or January.

But a few weeks ago my employer dropped a bomb, one that I didn't see coming. Those plans have been changed.

The company I work for had a regional manager's meeting and a dinner afterwards. I'm not a regional manger and didn't attend the meeting but I was invited to the dinner. In fact, the owner of the company insisted that I attend the dinner. Why not? Who in their right mind turns down a free fancy dinner?

After eating the owner stood up and gave a speech in which he reminisced starting the company 32 years ago and "what a ride it has been." Then he said "I want to take this opportunity to congratulate someone who's been with this company for 30 of those 32 years. (He was taking about 'yours, truely.') The boss made a few more congratulatory remarks and then said "we all know about Bill's passion for hunting. It's almost scary." Then he unrolls a brochure. I recognized the logo of Kiowa Hunting Services, the outfitter with whom I've gone on 10 cow elk hunts.

Behind my back the boss contacted Kiowa and set up a New Mexico trophy rut mule deer hunt, paid for by the company. It was a complete surprise! I was almost in tears..

That's my big hunt for the year. In the next 5 years I'd sure like to go for a moose but I don't know if I can find a moose hunt that I can physically handle.

That is fantastic! Congratulations! Great boss -- as Geedubya requested, please keep us posted and take lots of pictures!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Biggun.....thats real cool

I won't be killing much this year Wink

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas is home, but current employment status has me working "on the road". I am on a one-month hiatus from a job in Nebraska, due back up there late July. I was in Wisconsin all last deer season and didn't do any hunting period. No deer, no hogs, etc...

Well, the good news is one of my new friends in Nebraska has told me that if I am still there come whitetail season, "We have about 800 acres about two hours west of here, and the deer could sure use some thinning...". Folks, it just doesn't get any better than that!

I am thinking a Nebraska whitetail with a White muzzy or maybe a Smith Model 57 would be the cat's pajamas, so to speak. Figuring I could maybe bum enough pork off Marko to "make a few links", since there aren't any hogs in Nebraska... yet.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
since there aren't any hogs in Nebraska... yet.

No, please keep the hogs out of Nebraska. Pretty slow year this year for me but I do have 2 buck tags and one antelope tag here for this season so October and November should be fun.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
This year I am hunting Sambar in Victoria in a couple weeks.

And Dad drew a moose tag in Wyoming so I am headed home to give him a hand.

Hopefully I can get in some foxing with the spotlight before it gets warm again here in Australia.

The next 5 years are dependant on what I end up doing for a living when we get back to Wyoming, Montana or Alaska.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only out of state hunting this year will be bird shooting. Maybe a hog hunt in Texas.

Other wise deer in Wis. Going to put in for a Wis wolf tag we will see on that.

Wife drew a bear tag so I'll be watching her getting her bear.

Posts: 19398 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigasanelk. I'll be doing a cow elk hunt with Kiowa in December. Can't get here soon enough. I've done an antelope with them in 09 and cow elk in 2010 so i'm looking forward to hooking up with Tim once more.
My only other plans for the moment are a Mule Deer hunt up in the Kaibab National Forest of Arizona. That's only if the state will let me have a tag this year. Hell! I haven't drawn for elk in 8 years and for deer in 6 years so I'm not holding my breath. If I don't draw, Ill maybe look for an affordable deer and hog cull hunt in Texas. Maybe I'll head over to the Houston area where I do have an invite to hunt there. The wife can visit our youngest daughter and play with the Grandkids and I'll go huntin'. dancing
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This summer I will be hunting West Slope Cutthroat Trout here in Idaho and maybe a trip or two for Yellowstone Cuts. August maybe time for a cow elk then off to Zim for a Safari and Tiger Fish hunt in September, then to Montana for a Mountain Goat hunt/death march. Back home to Idaho for Blues and Ruffed grouse plus Chukar, Californians and ducks/geese. If I draw another Swan tag, the end of October will find me at Freezeout in Montana for my 3rd Tundra Swan. November will be birds and if I'm bored a Whitetail or 2 here in Idaho. The week of Thanksgiving I will be hunting Turkey in Idaho then Muzzleloader Elk for my 1st or 2nd Elk of 2012. I will spend December hunting Steelhead on the Clearwater or Salmon Rivers here in Idaho. And on the 7th day I just might rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only tag I drew this year was a bear tag. That's a shoo in where I live. I will probably buy an over the counter elk or try to get a leftover tag if there are any. Next 5 years???
Cape Buffalo next year and possibly sable. If I don't get the sable, that gives me the opportunity to "have" to book another buffalo hunt. Hell, I may not see a Sable for 4 or 5 more years!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
So far I am zero for 40 something in drawing tags and only have AZ left and those odds are worse than the lottery.

I was dead set on booking a plains game hunt in Namibia for 2013 but came across a Botswana plains game hunt that I just cannot pass up and trying to work out the final details.

I need to work in a trip to New Zealand for my wife as she refuses to go to Africa.

I cannot seem to draw anything in the states but will continue to play the game and hope that the saying every dog has his day will finally play out at some point.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
just whitetails again this year,except my son will be joining me.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will bow hunt for deer in S.E. OK and rifle hunt in S.W OK near the TX boarder. We also have a CO elk hunt planned in the San Juan National forest area for the 2nd rifle season. My hunting buddy and I both got drawn for Cow and we'll get an OTC tag for a Bull. We're hunting the 2nd rifle season.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking.
I am booked with deposits downtill 2015.
THis year its Utah MT. Goat, South Texas Nilgai and HOgs, and then West Texas predator night hunting(bobcat)/javalina hunt.
The next year its Utah Pronghorn, Colorado mule deer, and BC Lynx
The next year its Colorado Elk and West Texas Desert Mule Deer/Free Range Buffalo hunt.
The next year its Utah Black Bear hunt and a BC Coastal Grizzly Bear Hunt.
I cant wait I'm so pumped.
Thanks for letting me share.
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitetail deer in Wi.,Mi.,Mn.and Canada Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I will probably just be hunting Whitetail and Hogs this fall/winter....but hopefully the next two years will include Aoudad, Nilgai, Muntjac, and Red Lechwe.

This winter will also be the first time I get to hunt Woodcock....and on my own land, which makes it even better

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote