Find
Notify
Tools

My first pronghorn!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
Well, got back from Wyoming from my first pronghorn hunt! While this may be old hat to many of you, it was a first for me and better than I imagined.

After a few stalks that ended in no shot because of spooky goats or no decent buck, I finally got one!
We were scouting the ranch from the guide�s truck. When we spotted a herd, we glassed to see if any decent bucks were around. I was told not to expect much in the way of size, since while numbers were �up�, antler quality was down due to a drought for the last 3 years or so. After a few hours, we spotted a herd of about 25 or so does and one smallish buck on the far side of a draw. About to go on, my guide thought he had seen a good buck in the bottom of the draw. After what seemed like forever, he showed his head, and seemed to be one of the better ones we had seen. (I saw one I thought was better, but was two counties over after we spooked him!) We were about 5-600 yds away when I started my stalk. There was a small rise to my right and between me and the herd. As I slowly walked behind it, the smaller buck never took his eyes off me until I was behind the hill. I made my way to the top and watched the larger buck chase the smaller one off. The herd slowly was moving away, up a large, gentle hill. After he settled down after running off junior, he stopped while the herd slowly went by him. I ranged him at 302 yards, no wind, and with no cover between us. I slowly rose to a sitting position, settled behind my shooting sticks and held just at the top of his back. He was slightly quartering away when I shot. I hit him with a 139 gr SST from my 7mm-08 and he dropped instantly. A wonderful end to a wonderful trip.
 -

[ 10-12-2003, 09:21: Message edited by: Duckear ]

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking buck. I am glad you came out here & had fun.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Duckear, Congratulations!

Nice story and a fine shot.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Duckear,

Big time congrats on your speed-goat! It sounds like a great hunt and you made an excellent shot. I took my west Texas pronghorn last year with my 7mm-08. You were probably able to hold right on the top of his back at 300 yards.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent [Smile] Thanks for sharing, some of us don't get to hunt very much and miss those stories. Nice pic.

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Congrats..... nice buck!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<PWN>
posted
Duckear,

Great job on a fine antelope. You are now hooked. I love hunting them and have be fortunate to have done so in Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming.

Perry