New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Rem vs .300 Win
 Login/Join

<FarRight>
posted
Okay guys more questions from the confused gun seeking hunter in Montana...
See you'll notice I am kinda confused over here in the boonies. My family tends to find something that works and stick with it. We have decades of experience with the Rem M700 cause we know it works. So when I found out I couldn't have a Rem 700 and a .300 Mag in the same set up cause I shoot left-handed, I was kind of discouraged. I simply didn't (don't) have the money for the KS Mountain Rifle, which if I have been informed correctly is the only model they offer chambered in left-hand .300 Win Mag. I looked at different models from Browning and Winchester but remain skeptical... I still want a Remington. Since the closest they come to what I am looking for is a BDL in 7mm Rem Mag... so I'll wrap this up.

1. How does the 7mm Rem Mag compare to the .300 Win for energy, trajectory, ect?

2. Nosler lists a max load with a 160 grain Partition as 3112 fps from a 24" barrel, in your experience is this obtainable?

Any help would be appreciated... I am hoping to eventually know what I will be hunting with this season...

<hunting1>
posted
It's just my opinion, but the 7mm will get it done on everything just as well out to 3-400 yards except big bears. Flat shooting and good energy.

I know you like the Rem 700. but I would take a look at the Savage 116's. That is my choice over the new 700's, but people either love or hate Savages. I shoot an Encore, which is either or left or right. I like the 300 better for more energy and bullet selection, but as said on deer and elk at reasonable distances, you won't see alot of difference. Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You left handed guys DO have a problem, that is for sure. The availability of left handed actions is pretty slim. My dad does every darned thing else right handed, but he shoots a rifle left handed. He simply reaches over, but then, he is used to doing this for lots of years and probably would not know what to do with a left handed action.

I agree with you on the choice of the Remington rifle. I have a whole safe full of them. I have owned Winchesters and Rugers and Brownings, etc. but keep coming back to the Remingtons.

In regard to the 7mm Rem mag vs the 300 WIn mag, the 300 is better for energy delivery, no doubt! But, having hunted with both, I can tell you most game cannot tell much difference in which one they are shot with.

I have helped lots of people work up loads for rifles and over the years; the AVERAGE speeds seem to be about 3050 fps with either of those calibers for a reasonable maximum. (This for 160 grain bullets in the 7mm Rem Mag and 180 grain bullets in the 300 Win Mag.)

If you shoot Nosler partitions in both those guns at those speeds, the trajectories would be virtually identical. Again, the 300 would have an energy advantage. But, neither one will bounce of the side of a deer or elk when the chips are down.

So, if you like the left handed Remington in 7mm Rem Mag, buy it. You will not be at a disadvantage.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<razorback>
posted
get the 7mag. most people only spit 180grainers out of the 300winmag, so through some 175grainers in the big7. It is only 5grains, with a lot more sectional density. I live in the south so I don't really need anything over a 243, this was just my personal opinion.

------------------
it's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of fight in the dog.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The 175gr. bullets can be sent out at 3000 fps from a 7 mag with handloading and the 160 gr. can be pushed over 3200 but each person has to load for thier gun so I won't give charges, but a serious look at RL22, and IMR7828, and even H4831sc will yield results. Elk won't know the difference. I shoot a 24" Win Mod 70.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
I agree that the 7 Rem Mag with a 160 Nosler is a superb hunting cartridge/rifle combo for North America (except for big bears). You shouldn't have any trouble bettering the 3000 fps mark with stout handloads out of a 24" barrel and you'll probably prefer the lower recoil level over the 300 WM as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're not hunting big bears, go with the 7mag. It is a fine cartridge. Some even do hunt the great bears with it but..........

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Get the 7mm Remington Magnum and consider yourself well-armed!

AD

<Scorpio [+] 4 pigs>
posted

Hi guys

I live in Queensland - Australia and shoot with my Remington 700 BDL .7mm Rem Mag. I have only had it for a few months and am having trouble dealing with the recoil when hunting. Do you have any suggestions as to how my shoulder might be able to survive??
Ciao, Matt

------------------
[+]

[This message has been edited by Scorpio [+] 4 pigs (edited 04-28-2002).]

<awknod>
posted
I have taken several Elk with the 7mm. rem. mag. with good bullets it is a good cartridge.175 nosler partitions work very well. another consideration is a single shot ruger #1 just a thought. you will be happy with the 7 mag. if you use premium bullets. the reason I've hit on that is that the cheapo stuff just does not hold up well at high speeds the 7mag can give you. good luck

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Too bad you don't like the Savage rifles. You could have everything you want for less.

------------------
don't cuss farmers and ranchers with your mouth full

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Or try the .30/06...good power ,less recoil and you can get it in almost any action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or try the 30-06 for less power,more bullet drop,more wind drift and many action styles you don't need.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
i'm right handed but because of an eye injury i've learned to shoot as a lefty. I don't see much advantage to having a left handed bolt gun. I can't think of a time when the second shot had to be that fast. It seems to me either I hit them with the first shot or I don't and they run off too fast for a second shot or the just stand there and let me shoot again. A lefty can work the bolt on a right handed gun pretty fast anyway.
I think a 7mm would be better or jus as good as a 300 for everything but bears.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scorpio, buy one of those pacmyre(spl) shooting pads. Are you pulling the rifle well to you when you fire?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no argument here, only wishfull thinking...

The 300 is the most powerfull of the two guns. It shoots a 200 gr. bullet at the same velocity as the 7 Mag. shoots a 175 gr. and has the capability of tossing 220, 225 and 250 gr. bullets also...

Thats not a lot of difference and either is fine, but lets call a spade a spade and answer the mans question, with honesty and skip the prejudices...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well said mr atkinson. the 300 has a clear advantage. they are not really in the same "league". esp. when it comes to wapiti!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
AS has been pointed out many times here, there is no reason to own any rifle except the other guys favorite!
True what Ray said about heavier bullets from the 300 but the 7mag will be fine if your stuck on a Rem. I personally don't understand why your wanting to limit your choices to Rem. but what ever makes you smile.
Why not the proven but mediocre '06 and then a second in something bigger yet? My personal fav for Elk is the .338 Win Mag as of now. Someday I may reconsider but it will outperform the .300 on elk. I have a 7mm RM that I love for deer but the .338 is my first choice for elk. I've got an '06 and .308 that mostly take up space in the safe.
As for your question I don't think Elk will notice if you're using a 7mm RM or a .300 WM if you shoot well. Get a rifle thats comfortable!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
I appeciate the comments. Thanks guys. I agree, for an elk rifle, the .338 has a clear advantage. But in Montana elk season is at the same time as deer season and out east, antelope season. I consider the .338 a little larger than necessary or desireable for an elk rig and simply insane for an antelope the size of a Great Dane. Besides, I would like something with a little flatter trajectory and neither the .300 Win or the .338 Win is available in a left-hand Rem 700, with the exception of the KS Mountain Rifle, with a sug retail of $1300.
The reason I am limiting myself to Rem is that everytime I ask about a different rifle, I get varied opinions. Some people love em and some people hate em. But my family has decades of experience with the Rem 700 so reguardless of what some nay sayers might say, we know they work. We trust Rem.
I am also limiting myself to a left hand rifle but I hate compromise. I figure my money is as valuable and as hard to come by as anyone elses. I should not have to suffice with and inproper fitting gun paying the same amount of money. When lefties quit compromising, more companies will offer a wider selection of guns for them.

Thanks for the replies guys.

<Rogue 6>
posted
The Remington web site shows the left handed bdl in 7 rem mag. I know its not synthetic or stainless but who wants an ugly gun. You and alway trick it out yourself. http://www.remington.com then go to the Left-handed section.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Geez, are ALL my fellow Montanans lefties? The Rem 700 was available (briefly) in .300 Win and .338 Win. I am a 700 devotee as well having used them as match rifles for years. I have a line on some of what you're looking for locally (near Missoula). If you handload, the new .338 Ultra can be loaded to any power level or trajectory you like and are available seemingly everywhere. I'm trying to talk myself into one ;-)

Email me if you like

Redial
markriedl@yahoo.com

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote