New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nilgai cow hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much do these things weigh, how tough are they? I'm thinking of using my 7x57 with either 140 or 160 grain TSXs.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Your 7x57 will do just fine. Choose whichever of the two bullets it shoots best, and you'll be set.

Old, mature bulls in good condition can push 600 pounds. I am not certain about the weight of the cows but would have to say 250-350 for a mature animal.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby
Do you know how the vitals sit. Like a whitetail or lower and farther forward like African game?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Nilgai cow will weigh up to 400 lbs. max and they average about 325 lbs I am told...The Nilgai is one tough animal and can take a lot of lead..The trick is to put the first bullet close behind the shoulder about 1/3 up or 2/3s down..Lungs are the size of a washtub and they can take awhile to die, especially the bulls..I like to use a big rifle on them, it keeps my follow ups simple and blood trails ample..

I would use the 7x57 with 175 gr. Noslers but I much prefer my .338 with 300 gr. Woodleighs..I have hunted Nilgai more than a few times on the King ranch in So. Texas...

They eat real good, none better in the wild game dept..except perhaps Eland.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote