New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How did you do this year?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Congrats Kudu, those are some fine bulls. I took a deer, elk, and bear with my bow in September, and yesterday I took a cow elk in the morning. My 15 yr old daughter took her first bull (and 4th elk), a 5 point, yesterday evening. She has a deer tag for next weekend, then its all over for us.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We did good on elk, this is mine and my # 3 sons elk from Wyoming, we still have deer season. Both were taken on public land, 7mm rem mags,162 grain Hornady hand load, on the 8th.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know its early but huntin has started so it's time to start reporting in.
I just returned from South Carolina. I took a button buck, which I unfortunately misjudged for a doe in the morning darkness, a 4 point and a 6 point buck. Distance ranged from 100 to 180 yards. I used my new Dakota in 7X57 loaded with factory Rem core loct 140 grain. Two dropped where they stood, one ran 25 yards. I have the rifle topped with a S&B 1.5 X 6 X 42mm. All three were taken under low light conditions so the scope made a big difference.
This was the first time that I have used either a Dakota or a 5X57. I'm impressed with both.
My buddies each scored also. Bob took his first deer, a doe , with a model 700 in 7mm-08 and DR. Joe took two pigs and a 4 point buck using his mod. 700 in 30-06.
We were hunting at Paradise Vally Hunting Club in Erhardt SC. Good food, good company, good hunting.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Kudu,
Nice elk!
I took 2 blacktail forked horn with my Mod 70 375 H&H topped with a 1.5-5 Leupold. First at 385yds, second at 252yds lasered. Going for elk in a couple of weeks.

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decent mule deer in Wy. last week. Cow elk in Co. this week. Going bull hunting in Nov. then the geese should be here. Seems like the season passes way too fast anymore.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
'fraid not. He plowed nose first into the side, after dropping off some hunters. Took search and rescue three days to get the remains out. Very, very sobering. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow Dutch! Did the pilot survive?? You are one lucky bugger!

Hey kudu, I bet you had to leave the roads miles away to reach those monsters. Did you use packanimals?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Good and bad. Drew a bighorn tag, but threw my back out five days before the hunt, so had to cancel. I could not walk 300 yards, so a 12 mile hike witha 64lb pack was probably not going to happen..... The amazing part is that the bush-pilot I booked with flew into the side of a mountain on the day I was supposed to fly in.

So, considering, I think my season is going well: my back is getting better, and I think I will be able to take my boy in for his first elk hunt in two weeks. Looking at the bigger picture, life's pretty darn good.... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I have been able to get an 8pt and a doe w/ my bow. I am just about ready to hang the bow up and drag out the trusty ole' CVA MLer. MLer season opens here Oct. 23.

Congrads on all of you guy's hunting success and Good Luck in your upcoming hunts.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Boy, when you mumble and grumble about life's ups and downs, something like that puts it all in perspective. If you wake up on this side of the grass, you have it about 98% licked!
Good hunting,
Russ

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote