THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Thinking of moving- could use your input.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of moving- could use your input.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
musta been visiting Baggs, Wyoming

Good Lord, thats the TRUTH! I guided hunts out of Baggs for years! Rawlins is worse though cause its just a bigger, trashier version of Baggs Big Grin

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
"Houston" is a city but the Greater Houston Area encompasses several adjoining cities which are nothing like Houston proper. Some are great places and you're in close proximity to the better things to do in Houston. It takes a while to learn where not to go or live.

Actually, you want to stay out of Harris County as well as Houston. Likewise, Travis County as well as Austin. But if you live nearby you can go into town for fun and leave the hippies to pay the high taxes that support your nice night out. Sort of reverse welfare.

There really is a lot of public hunting in Texas. 1.5 million acres by my recollection. I don't know why people think otherwise. I guess they don't try hard to find it. Good fresh and salt water fishing. Not much cold water fishing but hey, you got to have a reason to go on a road trip, right?

Spot on! Houston is the corporate hub for the oil and gas work further south, good looking ladies about, coast is under an hours drive and lots of hunting opp. around.

Don't rule out Texas just because Crazy Horse lives out in the most arrid, remote part of the state Wink.

Perry

I was born and raised in New Braunfels and lived in the Houston area for years when I was in my early 20's. I was actually in Seabrook and while it was cool to be fishing for trout and redfish within 15 minutes of my place there is no way that area compares to where I live now up near Fort Collins.

The people in TX are great and the women are smoking hot but to pick a place to live, I choose northern Colorado. I can hunt, fish, ski, hike, camp and anything else CO has to offer within an hour of my house. Its fantastic and theres no humidity

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't rule out Texas just because Crazy Horse lives out in the most arrid, remote part of the state

I am only an hour, maybe hour and a half from the DFW metromess

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
quote:
"Houston" is a city but the Greater Houston Area encompasses several adjoining cities which are nothing like Houston proper. Some are great places and you're in close proximity to the better things to do in Houston. It takes a while to learn where not to go or live.

Actually, you want to stay out of Harris County as well as Houston. Likewise, Travis County as well as Austin. But if you live nearby you can go into town for fun and leave the hippies to pay the high taxes that support your nice night out. Sort of reverse welfare.

There really is a lot of public hunting in Texas. 1.5 million acres by my recollection. I don't know why people think otherwise. I guess they don't try hard to find it. Good fresh and salt water fishing. Not much cold water fishing but hey, you got to have a reason to go on a road trip, right?

Spot on! Houston is the corporate hub for the oil and gas work further south, good looking ladies about, coast is under an hours drive and lots of hunting opp. around.

Don't rule out Texas just because Crazy Horse lives out in the most arrid, remote part of the state Wink.

Perry

I was born and raised in New Braunfels and lived in the Houston area for years when I was in my early 20's. I was actually in Seabrook and while it was cool to be fishing for trout and redfish within 15 minutes of my place there is no way that area compares to where I live now up near Fort Collins.

The people in TX are great and the women are smoking hot but to pick a place to live, I choose northern Colorado. I can hunt, fish, ski, hike, camp and anything else CO has to offer within an hour of my house. Its fantastic and theres no humidity

In 2005 I went with a team to pick up an aircraft for the military in Waco, we spent 5 months there living in a hotel across the highway from Baylor, and spent a lot of time in bar I don't remember the name of (tons of beer on tap).

I was kind of shocked by how fat people were in Texas. I didn't see anything that could hold a candle to the women that they have in Vancouver, BC or Las Assholes.

I am currently living on my 5th continent, spent 5 years in Europe living on the beach in Spain, Greece, Turkey and Italy.

Australia also really suprised me for how average the women were. I was lead to beleive that this place had hot women on the shelf in the local supermarket. Very average, and just as fat as America.

I think that the healthiest looking women in America are in 3 places. New England, Pacific NorthWest, and California.

In 5 months in Waco I never saw a single person walking or running the street for excercise.

Not trying to piss anyone off, just calling them like I have seen.

Not that women in southern Europe are healthy, they are skinny because they smoke and don't eat.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Perry

In 2005 I went with a team to pick up an aircraft for the military in Waco, we spent 5 months there living in a hotel across the highway from Baylor, and spent a lot of time in bar I don't remember the name of (tons of beer on tap).

I was kind of shocked by how fat people were in Texas. I didn't see anything that could hold a candle to the women that they have in Vancouver, BC or Las Assholes.

I am currently living on my 5th continent, spent 5 years in Europe living on the beach in Spain, Greece, Turkey and Italy.

Australia also really suprised me for how average the women were. I was lead to beleive that this place had hot women on the shelf in the local supermarket. Very average, and just as fat as America.

I think that the healthiest looking women in America are in 3 places. New England, Pacific NorthWest, and California.

In 5 months in Waco I never saw a single person walking or running the street for excercise.

Not trying to piss anyone off, just calling them like I have seen.

Not that women in southern Europe are healthy, they are skinny because they smoke and don't eat.

Yea...but you were in Waco...WACO! That is the number one place in Tx to pick up GAY MEN!!!! The only thing in Waco is Baylor Univ...BAYLOR! Gay guys and girls that want to get married, scrap book, have babies and home school. Your comparison is like getting a hot dog from a street cart in NY and making a judgenment about restruants. 5 months in Waco would be hell for most people. (for the record I am being a litle sacarstic...sort of).

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't rule out Texas just because Crazy Horse lives out in the most arrid, remote part of the state

I don't live where I do the javelina hunts, although I would not mind it. I live south of Wichita Falls about 45 miles away, in north central Texas.

There are lots of good looking women in Texas, just be in the Stockyards in Fort worth on a Friday and Saturday night. Hank Jr. wasn't wrong in his song about the Best looking women being in Texas. You just ain't gonna run into a bunch of them at Wally World.

With that said, Texas does have its drawbacks, east and south of the I-35 corridor, too damn many people. West and north of the I-35 corridor, too damn few.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
I really appreciate all the constructive input, advice and PM's, keep it coming! You have given me a lot to think about, and I'm hoping to mix this in with some first hand visiting.

For those that think everyone from the East Coast is gay and liberal, travel more. Come to Boston, its a great historic city with quite a bit to do. First whiskey is on me. The town I am from has 1 stoplight, houses from the 1600's, and plenty of farms and woods. You might even like it here.

As far as my political persuasion. This is my vehicle. Guess.

Yes your vehicle speaks volumes, and no, you're not like us. You may think that you're a conservative western thinking individual but you are far from those of us from here. Please stay out of Wyoming, #1, we're full and #2, you're just another wannabe eastern, compared to us, liberal that pulls the same crap the rest of them do.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I moved to the Austin area about 3 years ago. Was in a meeting and made a suggestion that if we "did something a little bit different we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone." The other participants looked at me in horror - and one spoke up and said, "we don't use that phrase here - we say 'feed 2 birds with 1 crumb.'"

That's when I realized - Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
'feed 2 birds with 1 crumb.'"

Prime example of why NOT to move to Austin!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't really understand your "vehicle" thing but that doesn't matter. I lived in Boston for almost 20 years and then foolishly left and moved to the midwest. There are plenty of very nice, good fun people everywhere in this great country. Don't fret that.

There is an issue you didn't address. That's the cultural difference. I am NOT saying one is better or worse than the other, but it's worth keeping in mind. If you are comfortable in Mass/Boston then you might just have problems elsewhere.

If you want to hunt you can drive or fly there. But you cannot transplant your culture nor expect to find an equivalent elsewhere. I do not mean this in any derogatory way - a dyed-in-the-wool Texan might never be comfortable in eastern Mass. And it doesn't have a lot to do with gun laws or hunting access.

Look before you leap.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pennfly:

Yes your vehicle speaks volumes, and no, you're not like us. You may think that you're a conservative western thinking individual but you are far from those of us from here. Please stay out of Wyoming, #1, we're full and #2, you're just another wannabe eastern, compared to us, liberal that pulls the same crap the rest of them do.

You should find out where Pennfly lives and move next door Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
#1, we're full

Hey that's my line! Big Grin

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and take a look at Memphis. It will give you everything you want plus more.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
The worst thing about the growing influx of jobs and people in the west is the increase in home prices.

$300,000 for a double wide on 5-20 acres is very common.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A NRA sticker and a Browning sticker on a Jeep?
Aren't most of the Browning made in Japan?

Merica? Then buy American made gun's buddy!
That what I hate about east coaster's, most but not all are phony's or better yet blow hard's.

I've been to Boston and WOW what a rip-off city!
Thank God I live on the west coast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pennfly:

You should find out where Pennfly lives and move next door Big Grin

Smiler really just pointing out that there are a lot of differences,

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the unfortunate things that has always bugged me about the northeast is that it is an extremely judgmental, regionalistic area. People here generalize that the South is racist and dumb, the Midwest is boring and slow, and that the West coast is for Hollywood types and potheads. I don't agree with this at all. (Allow me to repeat this before I get burned- I don't agree with this point of view!) When I have traveled, be it to Texas, Indiana, Alaska, Colorado, or anywhere in between, the people have been wonderful.

I was in TX hunting quail with a friend last January, and I couldn't get over how people would wave on the highway, when passing each other at 60 mph. Around town, everyone smiled and gave a nod. When I was at football game at Notre Dame everyone there welcomed me to their tailgate and filled me with food and beer, even though the didn't know me from Adam. Given the posts in this thread, I'm a bit surprised to find that the rest of the country may be just as judgmental as the Northeast is. If you want to hate me because I am from Mass, go right ahead, no sweat off my back, or yours. That said, you might be a bit quick on a trigger in judging me, in that you have read, what, maybe 5 of my posts?

As I said earlier, I'm not a carpetbagger-I have no desire to move and change my new location to be anything like Mass, or the northeast. At the end of the day, I'm looking for a change of scenery and a different experience, as I am sure many of you did when you were in your early 20's. My interest in moving isn't exactly the start of the Mongol hordes invading your part of the country.

Like I said, I am an outdoorsy person, I want a spot I can have access to large chucks of wilderness and mountains that we don't have back east. I'm not looking to start a new chapter of PETA or introduce wolves to your favorite elk spot. I'm not even looking to kill all the big muley's, I think Drummond has already done that anyways- somebody yell at him!

The picture of my Jeep was tongue-in-cheek, in that you probably won't too many bleeding heart greenies driving that. I like offroading, I love the Jeep. And I am quite conservative, maybe not as conservative as you, but who gives a shit about my politics anyways? At the end of the day we both obviously have a passion for hunting and firearms, and that makes us more alike than different in my book.

Brownings are made in Belgium, Portugal, the US, and gasp, Japan. I also have a couple pairs of jeans made in China and a blanket from Mexico. You're point? You are right though, most of Boston is a rip off... Shoulda let me know when you were here so I could have steered you clear of those places.

Thanks to those that have given good feedback and experiences, keep it coming. To the rest of you, remember, it's just the freakin' internet.

Best,
Alex

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just some opinions from personal experience. I lived in Denver (Thornton) for a while. Don't live in Denver or surrounding area now. We just called it Little LA. I also lived in Boulder, just say no. Now if you go to the outlying areas as others have said, they are absolutely great. I would do that in a heartbeat. The people in rural Colorado are actually a lot like rural Texans, friendly and down to earth.

As for Texas, I would not live in Austin or any of the other major cities, but again, any of the smaller communities would be great. I can personally vouch for the pure beauty of the women. I was lucky enough to marry a lady from Texas and she gave me two beautiful daughters that inherited her looks and not mine. They are both models. Texans are the most socially diverse people I have met, yet the good ones all seem to get along just fine. You can have a knock down drag out with one and then go have a cold one together afterwards. Most will be brutally honest, if asked for an opinion, but will just smile and slowly shake their heads if not. Hunting is good, if you have somewhere to go. I just don't like the heat.

I personally like Kansas. Yes we have Lawrence which is a LOT like Austin, only smaller, but the hunting is good. Not many elk or antelope, but there are chances. The deer hunting is spectacular and you don't need $10,000 to get a trophy like in Texas. Millions of acres of public and walk-in land. There are even two large national wetlands.

I would even consider Utah.

Just some opinions from a guy that is full of it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote