Find
Notify
Tools

Cow elk meat hunt with 338-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
Hunted New Mexico on Vermijo Park Dec 3-6 Kiowa Outfitters. Strickly a meat hunt driving 530,000 acre ranch. We had a great time. The 3 of us all got our cows and could have been done the first day but buck fever took over. Stayed at a motel in Raton, Melody Lane clean and the owner was great even provided a cork screw and wine glasses the last night. My shot was from 240 yds and the 185gr Barnes TTSX at 2900fps took out the heart the the off shoulder, it was not recovered.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Very Good!

Did the same hunt a year ago, stayed at the same place, and had same positive results (I used a 35 Whelen).

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Any information on this Vermijo Park hunt? Do you draw or does the ranch have the tags?

Sounds like a lot of fun! The ranch looks amazing

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Nice! Love hearing the 338/06 success stories!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm doing the same hunt in January. The outfitter will get your license. Last I heard there were still a couple openings in January. He does this hunt all through Dec. & Jan.
This ranch is world famous for elk hunting and is loaded with elk. contact;

Kiowa Hunting Services
Tim Barraclough
575-445-9330
tim@kiowahunting.com

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote