New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you rate your sleeping bag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I spent the night outside, -10 Fahrenheit. My bag is a North Face rated good down to -20. I have a canvas bed roll I put the bag in & that helps alot. I don't like the mummy style bag, however. I will buy a large barrel shaped bag if I can find one that has a -20 or better rating.
Leif W.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I'd rate mine by how many single women I could fit in it........
So far I guess it's rated at -1.

I don't know if they have the brand ROMAN in the US but it is very good.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
The ratings are very subjective. Some are rated assuming you wear clothing, etc. Mummies are more efficient than barrels-- I don't like them either. Cabela's has a nice one, the Iditarod with Goretex etc. Canvas overbags will cause condensation and hence will be cold. Bivy sacs work well. Keeping dry is important. I've decided to stay away from sythetics and go for down. My new this fall down bag is excellant--rated to -20C.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Wiggy's in Grand Junction, Colorado makes the best sleeping bags. You can see their catalog at www.wiggys.com.

Rating of bags by air temperature is tricky. You have to discover if the rater used a pad with the bag, and if a tent or other shelter was involved.

You can get right and left-handed units and zip them together...jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
You will find at least most common bags are rated with the bag at least on a pad, some a foot off the ground (cot). Most temp ratings don't count if laying on the ground, as the ground will wick heat out of the bottom of the bag. Your body is the only heat source for a sleeping bag. The mummy type bags are warmer by their very nature of not having as much airspace in them you have to heat, thereby feeling warmer. The square bags are roomier and I agree more comfortable, but much less efficient at heat loss (larger area to lose heat over), and take more body heat to warm in the first place. For cold weather, go with the mummy bag, and down can't be beat in my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marmot Never summer mummy bag with a 0 degree rating. My normal set up is this bag with a Therma-rest pad. I have slept in sub zero weather and been quite comfortable. On the other hand, I have a buddy with a North Face bag rated to -15 and he gets cold at 20 above.
I think that one's comfort in a sleeping bag depends on the individuals physiology a great deal. I am always warm, some people are always cold. During summer backpacking trips with my aforementioned bag I usually sleep on top of it.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have use a Eddie Bauer down rated at -30 for the past 27 years. slept out in snow caves at -25 I like to use some good fleece with the bag when it is that cold any thing above +20 the bag is almost always unzipped half way.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
I have two bags by North Face, one rated to -20 and the other is a +20 degrees F rated bag. The lighter bag is for a 6'6" height and the heavier bag is for a 6 footer.

On my solo caribou hunt I took both bags and nestled the heavy bag inside of the light bag, and slept warmly inside a tent after climbing out of the creek where I fell through the ice.

On spring, late summer, and fall hunts (black bear, brown bear, Dall sheep, and moose)I take the light bag and a goretex bag cover that zips closed around the light bag. When exhausted from climbing the mountainsides all day, one can just lie down under the sky in the light bag with the goretex cover serving as the tent for your spike camp. Don't forget the Thermarest pad.

------------------
RAB

posted Hide Post
"How Do You Rate Your Sleeping Bag?" - Well that's a damn good question, as I usually fall asleep while closing the zipper.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't get these anymore, but I have a huge old but like new Eddie Bauer bag with 5 lbs. of that down that the Eskimos gathered for Bauer...I never use it, it is just too hot..I slept outside in a Blizzard with a tarp wraped around it and nearly died because I always sweat in it, then flop the covers back and freeze, even at 25 to 30 below..It is an artic bag and guarenteed to -100 as I recall, very impractical..It is nice to sleep ON but not in..It hangs in my shop...I have another old Bauer thats good for -20 and I like it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a mummy bag from LL Bean a few years back, much longer than I am, and it seems to work well, rated -25 degrees. Only hitch is, the insulation becomes compressed under my butt and then I warm the ground until it's comfortable.

Tom

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
As long as I am hunting out of a base camp, I use a system similar to RABs. I have two bags, one rated to 10 degrees, and one rated to 30 degrees, both are square cut and flannel lined. If it's really cold I put one inside the other, and I'm good to at least -20.

If I am going light, I use a goose down mummy rated to 10 degrees, use a flannel liner, and wear polarfleece underwear, and a watch cap. This combo is good to -10 if I sleep on a thick ensolite or thermorest pad and am out of the wind.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For cold weather the "Woods" 3 star and 5 star bags are hard to beat.Both are rated for minus 40.Doesn't matter if thats F or C because thats where the scales cross. For hunting trips in cold weather I use my 3 star.I have a synthetic bag rated for -20 C for fall hunting trips.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I dont like mummy bags either but I like being cold even less. An Army surplus extreme weather bag keeps me cozy on those chilly winter nights. I would rate it as very efficent..

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote