New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butte / Anaconda Mt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Heading to this area fall of 2015t for elk and everything else we can afford. Anyone hunt that part of the country before?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't drink the water

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
Don't drink the water

rotflmo

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I would avoid the strip club in Rocker. Scary place.

For a decent steak dinner go to The Derby in Butte.

For elk and deer, pick a mountain range, get out and start looking. There is good hunting to be had in any direction.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I lived about 3 years of my life in this area.

Nice little crystal meth berg it has become.

Fairmont Hot Springs resort between Anaconda and Butte used to be a pretty nice place to soak the bones.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10-4 on the water
Meth monkeys = no problem, retired LE, use a big enough chain plus a high quality lock and an armed guard should keep losses down.
Thinking about a general Elk lic but not knowing the area, I don't know what to add. Hunted Wy and Colorado several times, teton county, Gillette and Montrose in Colorado so know a lot more of what to expect but this the first hunting trip to Mt.
Any suggestions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To narrow it down a little, we will hunting mostly south west of anaconda / west of butte.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah,
I've already heard about Sage Brush Sam's.
It can't be worse than Westley's Booby Trap in Sayre Alabama. Went in there one time, thought the girls were totally nude at first be when the lights turned on saw that the employees were on the heavy side, which hid the uniforms. Walk in the door and they give you a short piece of 2x4. I thought this was for self defense but found out later it was for applause if you were to see something you liked. You were to bang it on the bar, floor, walls or your buddy, I guess. Didn't stay long.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Make sure to eat at Gamers in uptown Butte, at least for breakfast. You won't be sorry.

Strange place. There are very good things happening in Butte (new metal casting plant) and bad things (it's still Butte). If they had their druthers the Buttians would succeed from the State and the Union and make their own little crap hole of independence.

Since the Bin Laden shooter is from Butte (news on that was out MONTHS ago around here) they can't be all bad.

For elk look in the Pintlers and get way off the road. Many ATV "hunters" all over wherever they can drive and tear things up and pretend they're hunting.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i live and hunt in SW Montana and there are elk just about anywhere you want to hunt. Just get away from people and get back in the timber. Be prepared for cold weather... It as -18 last night. Even saying SW of Anaconda and west of Butte leaves a LOT of country. The east or west pioneer mtns are usually pretty good. Hunting is slow right now. It will get a lot better if we can get more snow.

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steveholt:
Oh yeah,
I've already heard about Sage Brush Sam's.
It can't be worse than Westley's Booby Trap in Sayre Alabama. Went in there one time, thought the girls were totally nude at first be when the lights turned on saw that the employees were on the heavy side, which hid the uniforms. Walk in the door and they give you a short piece of 2x4. I thought this was for self defense but found out later it was for applause if you were to see something you liked. You were to bang it on the bar, floor, walls or your buddy, I guess. Didn't stay long.

yuck

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be hunting with an old friend of my dad. He's guided in this area for years but due to an accident he's turned his business over to others. He still keeps his hands in it. Talking about day hunts out of his place or maybe do a drop camp, my idea, a few days or so at a time.
I've not really broken it down yet but planning on 3 or 4 weeks in the area for archery and gun seasons. End of one to the first of the other.
Been to Shiloh several times, in Big Timber and C. Sharps, too but have never hunted Montana.
Have thought of taking one of those Shiolh's sitting in the box on this hunt but considering the distance from home and unknown country, I'd probably be better off taking a rig that would allow better
/easier options.
Plus, if one of those local meth monkeys got away with one of my Sharps, it would just be bad; worse than when both my JD mowers got liberated. Never found the mowers but put twenty three nuckle heads in for free room and board and tore up nineteen labs if memory serves. I really liked those lawn mowers.
Anyway thanks for the ideas. I've never had a bad experience on these boards and I appreciate the information. When we get the licences bought this spring, I'll know more of when and where. I'll hit you folks up for more info then.
Thanks