THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ,257 roberts VS 2506 for hunting sheep?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

,257 roberts VS 2506 for hunting sheep?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
According to balistic tables high energy ,257 roberts have nearly similar proformance as 2506 and my question is if it could be used for sheep and goat hunting with 115 gr loads?
BR
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Swedish sheep and goats but the Roberts sure works on the Aussie ones.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mate
there are no goats in Sweden ,but there are plenty of muflon sheeps and if the caliber work for australian games . it would certaily do thne job in Sweden too.
BR
Danny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you handload, you can get quite a bit more out of the 25-06 due to its geater powder capacity. The 257 roberts has the capacity of a 7x57 while the 25-06 has the capacity of a 30-06.

If you are bighorn sheep hunting, where shots will be 300-500 yards, that extra velocity will be helpful.

Actually, .270 is a very popular sheep caliber, and a lot of people like magnums like the 7mm or 300 for their added range.

Sheep are so expensive that it is often once in a lifetime, and nothing can be left to chance.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
Hi
According to balistic tables high energy ,257 roberts have nearly similar proformance as 2506 and my question is if it could be used for sheep and goat hunting with 115 gr loads?
BR
Danny

If these are your options take the one you are most comfortable and accurate with! I would not hesitate to hunt sheep or goat or deer etc. with either of these fine cartridges.

Good Luck!!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Danny,

where do you hunt (plenty of) mufflon in Sweden? I thought that they only existed in fenced in areas and a few escapees on the islands on the west coast?

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Caveman>
posted
Don't even worry about "high energy 257" and shoot the 25-06. Unless your 25-06 don't group well, then take the 257. If the both group, then take the 25-06.
Corey

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Ain't enough difference twingst 'em to matter. The .25-06 is faster and flatter and the more so with heavier bullets. They are both outstanding sheep rifles. Use the RIFLE you like and don't worry about the cartridge.

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.

<JOHAN>
posted
Hey

Danny have you released some sheep and billys in the mountain ranges in the north Sweden?

I think that we should re new Swedens wild life with game like goat, Ovis dali dali, big horn sheep, caribou, Big Bears. Pronghorns would be nice too.

Not som very far form were i live there have been a lot of mufflons escaping from an island close to the coast.

I see them quite often when I hunt. I haven't shoot any since I hope they breed good and spread across the country.

I would go for a 270 win as minimum a fast 7mm or 30 cal is even better. A bily can weigh around 135 kilos.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a hunter being guided I wouldn't have any problem with either of the .25s mentioned for sheep but for goats it's a different matter. Goats typically live in more rugged terrain than sheep and it is frequently advantages to anchor them where they are if possible as they have a habit of taking a hit and walking off to fall into something you don't want to climb down into and out of.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys
Thanks for replies. Being spoiled by nature to have a plenty of kilos of natural weight , I have to save many kilos or ounces of weight in the gun , which i should carry in rough train . It is why I asked this question . I 'll plan to buy or build a very light gun and minimum caliber to reduce the recoil.
Best regards
Danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny..
I had a Rem.700 in 25-06 buildt for my son for roe deer hunting some years back.
It shoots like a dream with the Speer 120 gr bullet.

For game bigger than roe, its illegal to use bullets lighter than 139 gr. in Norway. Its a shame for this combo would be a dream hunting the southern high plains for raindeer.

Anyway...it is a real tackdriver and have proved to be a splendid roe caliber.
( and for the record... it�s topped with a Leupold 6x42 :0))

Arild

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny Pay.....if you are looking for a great sheep rifle with modest recoil you can't go wrong with something like the .270...if you handload I would suggest the 7mm08 Ackley Improved. I really like the Rem 700 Mt Rifle with the laminated stock.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote