THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    180 gr. scirocco bullets in 300 mag for elk

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 gr. scirocco bullets in 300 mag for elk
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone had good results with 180 gr. Scirocco bullets in a 300 winchester for elk? How about favorite loads / velocities. My average target range is 300 - 400 yards. Any better bullets / loads out there? As always - thank you for your time.

Posts: 12 | Location: Springfield, Oregon, U. S. | Registered: 10 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
I hunted with the scirroco for the first couple season they came out. I you take the ballistic coeficiants from the 180 partition & scirroco at equal velocities there really isn't a lot of different even out to 500 yards. If your planning to shoot that far non-premium boat tail bullets would do just fine. Your impact velocities are going to be in the 308 winchester range.

<Rogue 6>
posted
Sorry I forgot loads. If you use the Scirroco's try imr4831 and fed 215 primers in w-w brass. If you use the Partitions try the Imr4831 or R22 and the same brass and primers. I like the 190 grain hornaday btsp with R22 w-w brass and fed 215 primers. The 200 grain Sierra gameking might be another nice long range bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rouge 6,

What kind of performance have you experienced with the Hornady 190 grain BTSP?

This bullet shoots really well in my 30-06 with good velocity. However, I have not tried it on game and would love to know how it performs. Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 180 Scirroco's in my .300 H&H which is basically shooting them the same speed as a Win Mag; about 3000 fps at the muzzle. Two years ago I Shot a whitetail at 300+ yds and bullet exited. Dead whitey very quickly.
Then shot a bull elk at 292 yds, the bullet went in at an angle, broke the shoulder on the way in and I remember finding it way back behind the lungs in the guts. The bullet is about as classic a mushroom as you ever see, and about .650" in diameter and weighed 157.5 grains.

I have also found that some barrels don't care for the soft Swift jackets. Plus accuracy seems to be better if you start with a clean barrel.

I tend to shoot my game at fairly long ranges as its very open on the Ranch I hunt and the Scirrocos have worked out well for me. At least in thirty caliber anyway.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mads>
posted
I've done some loading not hunting with the 165 grains scirroco in my .300 win. mag.

It has been the most diffecult bullet to shot for my rifle. I tried with Norma 204, MRP and MRP-2

The 204 and the MRP did 3" groups at best at 100 meters! Then the MRP-2 came on and I got a flame thrower and �" groups!

If this is typical performance for the scirroco then have particien when loading them!

Regards

Mads

[ 10-12-2002, 17:36: Message edited by: Mads ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mads,

I think the Scirrocos and the uncoated Barnes X-Bullets all require an absolutely clean barrel for best accuracy. Plus some barrels will just not shoot them. I tried X bullets in a few of my rifles and they just wouldn't shoot them or else they did easily....no real rhyme or reason.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote