New
Find
Notify
Tools

M700 or M77
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At a local gun store today, saw a used Rem M700BDL LH 30-06 and new Ruger M77's LH in .270 and 30-06. Price wise, they are about the same. The 700 has a two positioin saftey. Either gun will be a project gun in the future. Re-stocked, tuned, re-barrled, etc. All I have to do is decide which one. Any suggestions? TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This one's easy. Remington (unless it has the ISS j-lock), unless your project requires a controlled-round feed.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
I agree with George. Ask any gunsmith which one he'd rather re-do for you, you're gonna hear Remington. It just has more potential, especially if you're buying it with the intention of rebarrelling, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington doesn't have a lock. I also don't really NEED a CRF. For caliber, considering a .25-06, .270, or .280.

What year did Remington go to a two position safety? TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TTS:
What year did Remington go to a two position safety? TTS

Remington has always had a two position safety. It's the Winchester and Ruger with the three position safety.

<X-Ring>
posted
I personaly like the M77 over the 700 as far as an off the self hunting rifle.

But if my intent is to use this rifle for a platform to build a custom someday. I to would go for the Remington with out a doubt.
FWIW Scooter

------------------
Sinner, saved by God unfailing grace!

<500 AHR>
posted
M700! The Ruger is a cheap piece of SH!T and is difficult to impossible to "fix".

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
TTS,

Do the 700.

Trigger work is far easier to perform and the action is inherently more accurate than a 77.

In those line of calibers, I'd suggest either a 25-06 AI or a 280 AI.

I have an otherwise factory 700 BDL in 25-06 that I reamed to the Ackley Improved. I also tweaked the trigger.

With no other work then that performed, the gun has shot multiple 1 hole groups @ 114 yds.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is going to be a big game hunting piece , and maybe used in rough or the back country , I'd take the Ruger hands down .

I'm also willing to bet after a trigger job , or re barrelling or other work , accuracy in the field will be identical between the two , for all practical purposes .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine likes Rimington actions, while I like Ruger actions. I don't know why he likes REM, but my reasons for liking Ruger actions are as follows:

Accurazy is not a factor, since any rifle can be accurate enough for hunting moose, bear, caribou, and other medium to large game. Should I have the need to take this CRF bolt appart to clean it for hunting in cold weather, the only tool I need is a small nail or wire. The same can also be accomplished with bare hands.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
The Remington action is the best action of the two to rework. I don't care for the Ruger action because it is machined to use only Ruger scope mounts. I like my actions drilled and tapped for any style scope mounts I care to use. In my view any action machined to use only the scope mounts of that rifle maker is a very poor choice for any shooter to buy. In some cases you are forced to buy a certain brand of scope to fit that action.

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
No doubt in my mind...the M77, hands down, but...if you a piece of wire as a bolt, no CRF, no integral mounts, no 3-pos safety, Ok your call.

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
I own both and have been able to make both shoot well. The 700 action definitely favors a project gun though.

Mark,PAWildcatter: could you share with us what load your 25-06AI likes so well??
Thanks.GREG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Either would be fine, but I prefer the Ruger, as I have had very good luck with mine.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<BusPilot>
posted
I shoot Ruger. I've owned them, shot them...they're reliable and they work for me. As for the "ask any gunsmith..." and "Ruger is a piece of ....", I do not agree. My custom gunsmith could shoot whatever he wants--he shoots and likes to work on Rugers. Most people in the know would readily declare that Rugers are well-built, solid working guns. To each his own, with due respect.

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!

<Phil R>
posted
My personal experience with Rugers has been excellent, in both factory and modified form. Remingtons of all kinds have given me nothing but grief. I guess it's the luck of the draw.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<500 AHR>
posted
Buspilot,

I get the feeling you did not appreciate my post. I just tell it as I see it. Actually I think both of these actions are pieces of !@*#. The idea was a project so I suggested the easiest to modify with the most available aftermarket goodies.

By the way, who is you gunsmith? None of the gunsmiths I talk to will touch a Ruger! They will work on Savages and Remingtons though. They all to a man have told me that when they were poor and starving they would work on/with Rugers but now that they are established they won't touch'em with a 10 foot pole. Everyone of these guys states the same issues with bedding system utilized. They all feel that it cannot be made to shoot reliably tight groups and resist recoil. I would just like to know as I have one Ruger (won't buy another either) and I cannot find anyone that will work on it.

Todd E

<BusPilot>
posted
Todd: Be glad to help out. I would go through Ole's for custom work (Salem, OR). Beautiful work (You may have seen my post on the Ruger RSM a few days ago). He works with a custom smith for more advanced stuff (custom brakes, etc). His son does impeccable work on recoil pads. Doing a job for me now. Don't ask Ole about his opinion on Rugers if you don't want to be set straight--you won't win! He knows his stuff and has been doing it (working on Rugers and all brands for a long time. We all want to think that our 'smiths are one of the best. All I can say is that his shop is wall-to- wall with mounts--all shot by him and his wife. They know both sides of shooting!

------------------
God, Guns and Gibsons...doesn't get much better than that!