Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw this in the Houston Chronicle and thought some of you might be interested:

Straight Shooters

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. Reading the article reminded me of my lovely wife. She too is a hunter and a shooter. She grew up shooting skeet from the age of 8. She also did a little rifle shooting while growing up but never really went hunting. Her father felt she should know how to handle firearms but felt that hunting camp was a man's place. Fortunately that had changed some now. One of the first questions my wife asked me on our first date was how I felt about women owning guns. I guess I passed the test because she later told me she would not date men who were against women owning guns. Her point was that they must obviously have some reason to fear her being able to defend herself and she had no intention of letting them hang around long enough for her to find out.

I consider myself ery blessed to not only have a wounderful wife but also such a wounderful shooting and hunting partner for life.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotogirl, you have a wonderfull role model in Annie Oakley. A very unusual person .I recently saw a fine PBS progam about her [ a real surprize !!] . Unfortunately I've met a number of women who started shooting and did better than her husband which was a problem for him so she quit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gotogirl3:

Settle back, Texas, because I also have a story for you.

My mother (who had relatives who settled in west Texas before "The War"- Send me a message and I'll elaborate)) was instructed by my father in learning how to shoot his 1917 S&W service revolver, (45 ACP- to get the service contract , S&W came up with a really clever device -the half moon clip {3 rounds} so that a rimless cartridge could be fired out of a revolver. It worked - and I knew about real "speedloaders" long before the actual ones were invented! Smiler My mother became very good - so good that when I reached about 14-15, she instructed me in my initial shooting. (My father was away during WW2) She also gave me my driving instruction so I could get my junior driving license at 16. Gee! Some women are good! What a surprise!

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote