New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would you all consider the best stock for building that next custom Hunting (not target) rifle.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimrock.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<B T Rippie>
posted
McMillian

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Classic-styled European walnut

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on a lot of factors.....if money is no object and you have a lot of time to wait, then wood is a good choice if you realize it's limitations.

If your new rifle is going to be a tool, albeit a good looking tool, then fiberglass is the way to go. McMillan and RimRock are both quality stocks but McMillan is the industry standard...both in quality and in the very large variety of stocks available and the number of rifles they will fit easily. The only knock I have ever heard about McMillan is their sometimes glacial delivery times (but still much, muck quicker than wood).

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I agree whole heartedly with fla3006 but would like to go a step further and narrow the choice down & recomend one of Mel Smarts wood laminates.

Doug

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some 20 year old Turkish rings my bell.. I have two on the burner as we speak..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, take them off the stove. Don't you ever learn. I bought two new pieces of wood from Preslik this year that just smile at me every morning. God I love that stuff.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mcmillan

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<rwj>
posted
H-S Precision

<allen day>
posted
McMillan