THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Have you heard some of Sportmans warehouse are closing?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you heard some of Sportmans warehouse are closing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I read on another site that some of the Sportsmans warehouses are closing.I shop at the ones in Alaska all the time.They are way better for hunting gear than anything else in Alaska.I like them way better than the pro bass shops I have gone to also.The stores that were closing were in Texas and a few more.I hope they can make it.Its a sign of the times not enough hunters to make it possible to have an awesome hunting and fishing store.We have to get more kids to hunting otherwise hunting may disapear in 20 years.I have giving ammo and hunting clothes to as many kids as I can to help and taken them hunting and shooting.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
the one in san antonio is closing

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, one of their stores in San Antonio is closing (as well as one near Dallas). I wouldn't necessarily say it's due to lack of hunters though. There are two Sportsman's Warehouses in SA and the one closing is very close to a mega Bass Pro Shop. There is also a Cabelas store not far from there as well. If you've noticed, SW, Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops have all been building with wild abandon.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Yep,the south store in San Antonio is closing January 31st. The north store will remain open. Of course I live much closer to the south store. The Lewisville, TX store is also closing. Out of this a rumor started that they were all closing. They have made some bad location choices. They have also centralized their ordering for the stores and given the local managers less control on products. That may bite them in the long run. I like SW. I get most of my loading components there.

If you are in the San Antonio area, the south store has some pretty good deals right now.......

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
where is the other one in san antonio I always swing by the south store on the way to my lease down i 10

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Their website has store contact info including email addys for the managers.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/store_locator.cfm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob: Do they have any bargains on components at the south store?

I've never had a clue why they would open two stores in San Antonio. As it turns out, they apparently didn't either.

When they first opened in Round Rock (North Austin area), their prices were by far the best around. Now, they're hardly better than Cabelas (which usually tries to hijack you). Academy will beat them on what Academy carries, but it is only a notch or so above Walmart and has no reloading components at all.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Crusher.....It is up at 281 and 1604.

SC......They do, but they are going fast.

Be sure to ask for powder. They keep it in back and the display containers don't always represent what they actually have.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got 4 eight pounders from the southwest SA store last week. Store mgr says only their store and the Lewisville store are closing.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
thanks bob

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The store in West Bend Wisconsin is closing feb 27th. Cabela's built just down the road and put them out.It's ashame. Cabela's is a neat store to look at but I buy very little from them. The only thing I will buy at Cabela's is sale items or something that no one else sells. Sportsmens was my go to store they had everything I needed and the prices were great. Their employees actually had a clue too. I won't even talk to anyone at the Cabela's gun counter. I very quickly want to slap somebody when one of their employees start talking. Nearly every time I am in Cabela's I end up helping customers. I think alot of people just getting into hunting and shooting activities quit because of the lack of help that is available at so many stores like Cabela's. I think and truly hope that we will see a colaspe of many of the outdoor superstores. I would rather pay more at a small shop and be able to have an intelligent conversation with the employees.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Michigan it's the opposite-Cabela's has the knowledgable people, Sportsman's Warehouse not so much. Gander Mountain is a complete disaster in terms of employees, at least the Novi one. I do like the SW prices though...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing my best to keep them alive...bought four rifles from them this weekend in Las Cruces...they were pleased and so was I...nice folks...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sportsmans warehouse just opened a store mid 2007 in Columbia, South Carolina, so I would think the closings to be poor performance at the affected stores. From what I can tell they are rakeing it in at the columbia store, but they have very little competition. The only other large retailer like that in South Carolina is Bass Pro in Myrtle Beach and it's about a 3 1/2 hr drive from Columbia. And a Basspro in Charlotte NC about 2 hrs away.

We've been hearing rumors that one of the big hunting retailers is going to build a store in Spartanburg, SC but nothing has materialized yet. I've heard Sportsmans Warehouse but most of the rumors say it's Cabela's, which to me would make sense since there nearest competition would be Sportsmans warehouse in Columbia SC, and Bass Pro in Charlotte NC. Both about 2 hours away, and there are no Cabelas in the south east. It would fill that big empty spot on their map nicely, and Spartanburg is Supposed to be the fastest growing city in the south east. Plus it would be 20 minutes from my house so that's all the reason they should need.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was suprised to find W760 at the store in Casper, I had been led to believe that W760 had been discontinued...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
I was suprised to find W760 at the store in Casper, I had been led to believe that W760 had been discontinued...

AD

They still show it on their website..

http://www.wwpowder.com/data/propellants/products.php#760

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote