Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Rigby Elk Sniping????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted
I was just wondering if anyone besides me use the venerable Rigby for long range Elk sniping and if so, what are your experiences?

I shoot a .416 CZ550 Safari Mag bedded in a McMillian synthetic stock, scoped with a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5x14x50mm. The load is the 325gr Barnes X pushed by 110gr. of RL-22 and chronies right at 2900 fps. Balistically, it shoots very close to as flat as a .300 Win with the energy of a .30-06 at 600 yards! My only dilemma is that I haven't connected with my bull yet. bawling

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
woodsracer ----- Thanks for the info on your Rigby, I also shoot one and Elk hunt each year. Maybe next year I will give it a try. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
Two years ago my dad and I went on a guided/horseback hunt (the only way to go BTW!!! thumb). My pop's biggest rifle was his .30-06 BAR, so he asked me if he could hunt with my .35 Whelen, which I built myself from a VZ-24 Mauser, so I was left shooting the "elephant rifle." It was really funny as our hunting group was getting aquainted with our steeds, and were requested to leave our rifles leaning up against the corral on the opposite side from where we were. From around the corner, walks one of the guides toting my Rigby saying "Who brought the F'n CANNON!!!" With a brazen red face, I noted that "I did." Then the guides and I spent five minutes talking about the canyon cannon and its ballistics. lol

My dad was lucky and also had a cow tag, which he filed with my Whelen. One 225 gr. X at around 250 yards, was all it took to bowl her over. clap

I can't wait to get back. gunsmile

The only thing that I need to warn you about is the BLUING on the CZ sucks!!!!! Frowner On the fourth day we were hunting in blizzard-like conditions. We got back to camp, wiped ALL the rifles off with a silicon cloth, then ate and went to bed (ahem, COT. Wink). The next morning, my CZ was COVERED IN SURFACE RUST!!!!! eek2 Mind you, there were five rifles in the same conditions: one Weatherby, one Remington, a Winchester, my custom Whelen, and lastly the CZ. NONE of the other four had rust! thumbdown

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too find the 416 Rigby excellent for elk at extended ranges. I use a Ruger # 1 loasding the 300 gr. Barnes near 29oo fps.

TW Cracker

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWC:
I too find the 416 Rigby excellent for elk at extended ranges. I use a Ruger # 1 loasding the 300 gr. Barnes near 29oo fps.

TW Cracker

So, does the Rigby bowl them over or what?!? wave I've yet to connect with one, so I can only imagine.

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"