Find
Notify
Tools

Maine Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
Had a great time the second week of Maine Bear hunting. Great lodge, great food, great guides. I connected early on a reasonable size bear, but my son got a nice one on the 5th day we were there. It was the first bear hunt for both of us.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. Looks like a super lodge. Lobster? I have been fed well on hunts but never lobster!

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Ha, Wednesday is lobster and steak, and you can have a couple if you wish. Versus a lot of other hunts, the price was very reasonable.

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Looks like you both had a great trip. Congrats on your first bear hunt! My boys turns 12 in 2017 and he has requested his first hunt be a bear hunt. Can't wait to share camp with him.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Hiker, that's a fine looking bear your son took, congrats. I can relate, my son's bear was a bit bigger than mine.

Brian, that's when I took my son to BC for a black bear when he was 12; I recall you posted on the hunt report your son has been interested in a bear from an early age. It was a great hunt, so much better than sitting a deer stand. You will both enjoy it.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Outstanding. Looks like a super lodge. Lobster? I have been fed well on hunts but never lobster!

The wife and I hunted with an outfit in New Brunswick a few years ago. On Friday of the full-week hunt, we accompanied the outfitter to the coast, where we awaited the arrival of the lobster fishing boats. He made arrangements with one of the fishing boat captains to procure a very large icechest full of live fresh lobsters for dinner that night. I actually got tired of cracking open lobsters.. It was awesome. tu2

Nice looking Maine bear there hikerbum!

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
So who was the outfitter?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
www.northcountrylodge.com

A Maine Game Warden told me they are the best in Maine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt. Black bear is on my radar for next year. I'm guessing you would recommend this outfit?

Posts: 1436 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Hiker, that's a fine looking bear your son took, congrats. I can relate, my son's bear was a bit bigger than mine.

Brian, that's when I took my son to BC for a black bear when he was 12; I recall you posted on the hunt report your son has been interested in a bear from an early age. It was a great hunt, so much better than sitting a deer stand. You will both enjoy it.

Thanks were looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemt5287:
Sounds like a great hunt. Black bear is on my radar for next year. I'm guessing you would recommend this outfit?

Absolutely recommend them.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice venue, Hiker. My only caution about Maine bear outfits is to ask if they trap bears before booking a hunt there. Many of these outfits will have active traps or snares out during your hunt thus competing with the paying clients for bears. Be very careful and ask about that before paying the $$.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I talked with a Maine game warden who told me that this place was about the best accommodations, deal, and ethical place in the state. The 3 guides the week I was there don't even hunt bear as a general rule. They said they would during deer season if they stumbled on one. The one guide sits on the Maine Game Commission board or whatever its called there. One hunter in camp has been going there for 17 consecutive years.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That is very good to know.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
My son got his bear rug in.... only pic I have. It was a nice bear. The fur is excellent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good looking bear! I'm headed to New Brunswick this fall for bear, hope to come across a big one!

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Congrats ! Thanks for posting the new picture - it lead me to the thread.

My bucket list - which is as big as a bathtub - has just got bigger !

Great sounding hunt and great looking skin!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2288 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote