New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeing game AFTER shooting.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many have seen game run out in the open after shooting? Or seen game come closer after shooting another one or missing that one?

A week ago I shot at a crow and some deer ran out in the field and looked at me. Another time not long ago I took a practice shot at a clod of earth and a coyote came out and sat down looking at me so I shot at that.

Other times I have shot at game and had it go out of sight and then found the same or similar animal walking towards me.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
I have seen this on occasion.

Once I shot a nice buck at about 125 yards.

At the shot, Muy Grande runs out of the cover and stops broadside at about the same distance.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 6 point whitetail casualy walk across my shooting lane while target practicing in the back yard. I had shot 3 shots from my 25-06 and was squeezing the trigger for the fourth when he apeared in the scope! Talk about something knowone would have believed! Another time that pops to mind is shooting an 8 point buck that was with a doe during the rut. She ran about 100 yards then turned and watched me half way through the gutting process before casualy walking off.
I have also heard many people say that deer will run in a large circle when spooked and end up where they started. I have witnessed this a couple of times but think the chances of seeing the same deer back in the area where spooked within a few hours are slim.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine shot a yearling despite my protests to wait for a bigger deer.As we walked up to it,a decent buck appeared.Of course I had to give the the old "I told you so".

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
It's not uncommon to see deer walk along the top of the slope behind the targets at one of my local ranges. And I've had several instances of deer run toward me and angling past after being shot. The most interesting example was during last year's hunt, when a group of three deer walked in just after sunset but before legal hunting time was over. I shot one of them, and it angled toward me, passing my ground blind about five yards to my right, and dropped less than 10 yards behind me. The other two headed off to my right toward another hunter's ground blind, and he shot one of them. The third one turned around, came back toward me and stopped about where I'd shot the first deer, and I dropped it in its tracks. Three shots, three deer, in under 10 seconds.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have seen deer walk out on the range as we hosed down targets with minis and even 2.75 FFARs. I have also seen them walk out on the range as we shot regular firearms 50 yards away. Not sure deer understand/comprehend the loud noises or cars at 70 MPH, just that insignificant little snap of a twig near them.
Now THAT GETS THEIR ATTENTION.

Just an opinion of course.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4239 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take the topic to using noise or a shot to see deer. For instance I have seen deer come closer when the shot or maybe the echo is behind them.

Would you fire a shot while waiting on a stand? I might do it more. I have now thought of other instances where deer and other game walked into view right after I fired a shot.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I missed a management buck twice at 125 yds (probably becuase Jeffe and another AR member were watching)in Texas this year...he walked 10 yards and bedded down. Then he stood up and being the marksman that I am...I popped him from the prone position.

As I walked up to him...a doe walks out of the thicket and stops at 60 yds. Then walks closer and turns and walks off...mind you I am in an open field...go figure.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
My shooting bench is about 30 yards from my overhead grain bin (where I store protein feed). It is common for me to spill some protein while transfering it to the trailer.

I was sighting and grouping 3 different rifles, a group of Mule Deer does congregated under the overhead bin eating the spilled protein while I fired away ... 30 yards from them.

They would not even lift their head at the shot.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, no reason why you shouldn't try it. I doubt you will lure any monsters in with this technique but if it's meat you are after I guess it "could" work.
After your second post I started thinking about deer coming to noise in general and there have been several times I have seen deer not just right after a shot but also while playing a radio or running a chainsaw come to mind.
Also, as you have probably observed yourself. Deer reaction to a shot can vary considerably. I have watched deer that wouldn't even so much as flicker an ear at the sound of a nearby shot and some that would jet out of the country. The good thing I believe is that deer (like humans) can't allways tell for sure were a nearby shot came from and will often run toward it.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My best bull elk was kind of weird like that:
I spotted a couple of elk late in the evening about 1/2 mile away in a small hillside meadow. After a short run to a vantage point, I settled in aobut 325yds away to get my bearings. There were two almost identical 6pt bulls feeding on the open hillside. There was little cover between the bulls & my rocky vantage point 325yds away. With less than 15 minutes of shooting light left, I settled in over my jacket over a boulder & took my shot.
My first shot only caused the bulls to lift their heads, the shot seemed to have missed. I was estimating the range & thought I had shot over. I lowered the crosshairs about 6" & fired again. This time the bull staggered back & fell. I watched the bull for 1-2 minutes to see if he would get up & no movement. It was only then I noticed the other bull, still standing where he had been less than 20yds from his now downed cousin, the entire time I was shooting. He only moved when I crossed the open saddle to get to the slope, then he bolted for the ridge. My bull was down w/ two holes in him. The first had taken him low through the heart & the 2nd shot went below the chest & broke the off side leg, why he stumbled & fell. If I were unscrupulous, I could have taken both bulls that day, weird.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My similar experience was when I was in college. I drew a tag to hunt mule deer on McGregor Range in southern New Mexico. It was a two-day either-sex hunt, but I hunt for bucks only.

The first day I jumped a small herd of does and trailed them the rest of the day, hoping they would link up with a buck. Later that afternoon and about ten miles later I decided to go for a doe and worked my way around in front of them.

I finally jumped the doe out of a ravine, and killed one. While I was field dressing her, I looked up and two nice buck were standing in the open watching me at about 85 yards.

Posts: 13807 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I pooped him from the prone position.

I'm not sure I want to know what that means. Smiler

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
post edited...butthead

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Caribou

No stories about caribou. It has happened to me on more then one hunt.

Watched a herd file past me, picked out a really good bull, down he went. Walked up to him as I reached for a antler, something caught my eye. Looking up, there stood not 65 yards away, they had just crested the hill, were 6 bulls bigger then the one I had on the ground!
And this one was my second bull, so all I could do was watch them. Of course they stood there what it seemed like an hour, then just trotted away, and my camera with a 4oomm lens was in my backpack, 120 yards behind me!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote