Find
Notify
Tools

My daughter's first elk - Tule Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted

My daughter Becca shot her first elk this weekend, an 8x8 Tule Elk, and it is a dandy. Becca should play the lottery, because she was not only drawn for the only Junior Tule Elk tag for the area we hunted, but she won a second drawing as well. The Department of Fish and Game (DFG) had a second drawing among all of the Tule Elk hunters for one hunter to get access to an otherwise closed approximately 5,000 acre ranch that the DFG purchased as reserved and protected Tule Elk habitat.

The Carrizo Plains area where she hunted is rolling grasslands, and actually looks similar eastern Colorado or Wyoming in terms of vegetation mix and topography, but with a bit more topographic relief. Hunting Tule Elk in the area is more like hunting Pronghorn than like hunting Rocky Mountain Elk.

The season opened on Saturday, and we first spotted three elk as we were driving onto the ranch at about sunrise, as they happened to be near the entrance gate. We parked just inside the gate and started to walk/stalk to get a look at the elk. The three were a pair of smallish 6x6's and a larger 7x with one antler broken off. We stalked about 800 yards behind the three, and they joined the tail end of a larger herd of bulls. We also spotted a lone larger 6x6 sleeping about 1/2 mile away, but decided to try and get a better look at the bulls in the heard. We managed to stalk to within about 350 yards of the herd, and were able to look them over. There were about 20 bulls ranging from spikes on up. There were two really nice bulls in the herd, the one Becca eventually shot, and another that had a slightly smaller rack, but looked to have more crown points. Becca decided that she liked the bigger wider one better, but he was feeding away from us, and did not present a shot that she was comfortable with. They fed through a little valley, so we decided to try and get ahead of them by circling around a hill.

Needless to say, she was extremely excited to see so many bulls together, as was I. When we got around the hill, we spotted the herd bedded down across the valley on an opposite hill. We were able to hoover up to a decent spot to see them all, and were able to look all of them over again. Becca still liked the big one the best, and he was bedded where she had a clear shot. I estimated the range at about 250 yards. She held where I told her to and fired. Unfortunately, the range was closer to 325 yards, and the shot went low, hitting him in the left front leg which was tucked under him. Needless to say, the herd got up and took off. We followed up, and were able to spot them stopped about 3/4 of a mile away and we could see him walking and limping. We made a looping stalk toward where he was headed. When we got close to where we thought they would be, we peeked over the hill top, and they were milling around on a hill top about 200 yards away. What we thought was the wounded bull was bedded in the middle of them and three or four others were lying down as well. After looking them all over carefully we were about 90% sure that the bull in the middle was the correct one. I had Becca get set up for a shot, but told her not to shoot until I told her to. I stood up and whistled so that the elk could see me. They looked but were slow to react. All but the big bull stood, and then as he got up, I could see that the left front leg was wounded. I told Becca to shoot, which she did, and hit him in the lungs. He started to run quartering towards us, and as is my rule, she kept shooting until he went down. The elk was running at about 150 yards and she missed the next shot, but hit him in the front shoulder on the next (the bullet shattered the bone but did not penetrate into the chest), he was still running and she missed the next, but broke a hind leg on the next. After he went down she reloaded. He started to get up so she shot again and hit him in the heart. Elk are incredibly tough, and don't know that they are dead until well after the fact.

Needless to say, we were both really excited, though she also felt dissapointed that she had not cleanly killed him on the first shot.

We got lucky, as the regional DOW biologist for the area had been watching the whole thing from a distant hillside, and came along as we were gutting the elk. After complimenting Becca on her determination to follow up the elk, and the way she got the job done, he co-signed here elk tag and than told us the good news that there was a work party from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (RMEF) on the ranch, and that several of them were on their way out to where we were with a truck, and that he had given them permission to travel off of the roads to where we were in order to help us get the elk. This was especially good news to me, as I was the designated pack mule and we were about three miles from where we had left the car, and about 3/4 miles from the closest road.

The RMEF guys helped us load the elk, drove us to the ranch headquarters, helped us hang the elk for skinning and quartering, and fed us lunch. I am between trucks, so the fun part was getting us, our gear, and the elk into my Subaru Forrester

As to Becca's rifle, Duane Wiebe was building a 9.3x62 for us to give Becca for her 16th birthday present, but when he heard that she was drawn for this tag, he pushed to get it done for this hunt. Then Charles Lee came through by doing the engraving in under two weeks. As you can imagine, the two of them did a beautiful job. We choose the 9.3x62 because her dream is to hunt Alaska, and to eventually hunt Buffalo in Africa, and she already has a .257 Roberts that is a great deer and antelope gun. Her 9.3x62 is built on the same commercial Mauser 98 action that Empire Rifle uses, but Duane machined the bridges for the Warne Premier rings. The rifle has a 24-inch Krieger barrel, NECG sights, and a Leupold 2.5x8 scope. We used a stock blank that is the twin to one ForrestB helped me pick four years ago, and in style, the gun is a complimentary match for my 7x64 that Duane also built, and which will eventually be Becca's. The gun also has a leather-covered pad. Loaded and with the scope, the gun weighs about 8-1/4 pounds.

I have only tried one load so far, but that load consistently shoots right at an inch for five-shot groups at 100 yards. she was shooting 250-grain Nosler ballistic tips at about 2,350 fps. One bullet hit the junction of the front leg bone and the shoulder blade and shattered the ball and socket joint as it disintegrated on the shoulder. Neither of the two bullets that entered the body cavity exited, though they only hit ribs. I prefer a tougher bullet, and would not use these bullets again on elk, though they should be fine for deer and similar-sized critters.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Way cool! Tell her congrats. I haven't put in for the Tule elk draw but maybe I will now.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to her and what great memories for you..... clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dad that's a picture you'll be looking back at many times in the years to come. thumb

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Wow...great bull. Congrats to you and your daughter!! cheers

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Fjold:

The La Panza hunt is close to home for you, and is one of the most enjoyable hunts that I have participated in. I have drawn the tag twice, including last year when I shot a 5x5 that looks puny compared to my daughter's. Unlike the Grizzly Island or Owen's Valley hunts, the La Panza hunt is a true hunt, with lots of area. As a result it has a lower success ration than other Tule Elk hunts, but with only 6 bull and 6 cow tags per hunting period and 12 tags of each issued per year for a herd of over 1,500 animals, you are not likely to see another hunter. If you find the bulls, chances are that you will see a decent one. The hunt is well worth the effort.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to her. Both she and you deserve to feel proud. I hope my little girl will hunt as well as she grows
Congrats again
Dan

Posts: 45 | Location: nfld canada | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congratulate your daughter on a job well done and trophy well-earned! Also could you post some pix of the rifle?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Way cool. I have a friend who drew a bull tag in Carrizo Plains.

I was down at Kyler's last saturday but no joy. Did she draw the "Chimeneas" (sp?) ranch.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Fjold:

The La Panza hunt is close to home for you, and is one of the most enjoyable hunts that I have participated in. I have drawn the tag twice, including last year when I shot a 5x5 that looks puny compared to my daughter's. Unlike the Grizzly Island or Owen's Valley hunts, the La Panza hunt is a true hunt, with lots of area. As a result it has a lower success ration than other Tule Elk hunts, but with only 6 bull and 6 cow tags per hunting period and 12 tags of each issued per year for a herd of over 1,500 animals, you are not likely to see another hunter. If you find the bulls, chances are that you will see a decent one. The hunt is well worth the effort.

Dave

LB, you lucky stiff,

What areas are the easiest to draw? I've been putting in for tule elk for the last 22 years in Kalifornia and haven't gotten a tag! I wonder how it is that some people can get two?

I've got great American elk (Rockey Mountain) and Roosevelt elk racks, but haven't got a tule elk mount on the wall. I just make my donation to the DFG every year it seems. Sorry for the rant!

Great elk! A hardy congratulations to your daughter along with a wish she have many more wonderful hunts! Thanks for sharing.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a nice trophy.I knew Tule elk were smaller in body size than the other elk,but I never realized that the difference was so dramatic.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
VERY cool. I love it when someone makes a post like this. Hope your daughter does well on all of her future hunts. Looks like she's off to a very good start!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Awesome animal, and nice jobbie to the both of you!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Thanks for sharing a great hunting story and some terrific photos. I can't believe how much Becca has grown in the last couple of years; my "little" girl is right behind her though. Let her know we all said congratulations.

Three Tule elk tags in one family?? Someone might think you've rigged the system.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your daughter and congrats to you for getting her interested in hunting.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both! It is a fine bull for Tule elk. I live just over the hill from there and have yet to draw myself. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very nice elk! Good job on the follow-up after that first shot. You have raised a good hunter there dad, and you coached her good; reminding her that the elk isn't dead till it is down for good.

Congrats to both of you!

My insurance company? Why Holland & Holland of course!

Posts: 7 | Location: Parker, CO | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Mike:

She did get the Chiminez Ranch access tag, which surely helped, but there are a lot of elk in the area if you know how to find them. Based on what the DFG biologist told me, I suspect that Kyler will start to see elk in his area within the next few years, as the La Panza herd is increasing.

Joe Mack:

I think the La Panza hunt is the one with the best drawing odds, but I understand that it is the most difficult of the Tule Elk hunts. That said, I love the area and the hunt, and would absolutely continue to apply for it.

Dave

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your daughter and you. What a great elk.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote