Find
Notify
Tools

Self guided Elk hunt....Where to go?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all

A self guided Elk hunting trip, but can a citizen from Norway go on it in US?
I am thinking of states like Idaho and Oregon. Never been to them, so thats why.

Yes, it is far far from easy, but the thrill and the joy of a trip like that, great.

Maybe some here have a tip for me, where to, who to contact and so.

Thanks for looking

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colorado might be your best bet. As far as I know it is the only state where you can buy a rifle (or bow) tag "over the counter," that is, without having to win a tag through a draw. A non-resident tag costs about $500 for a bull, half that for a cow. Colorado has a great deal of public land open to hunting. The trick to hunting elk on public land is getting far enough in off the roads to where you don't have so much competition from other hunters. If you are interested in hearing more, please send me a PM. While I have gone on many elk hunts, I have never paid a guide, so I might be able to help.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pm on its way Smiler

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colorado is as good as it gets for available elk tags. For more information check out the Colorado Division of Wildlife website at:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/

lots of good information there. Cow tags require an application (deadline is early April) but most bull tags are available "over the counter".

I live in Craig which is right in the middle of a lot of good elk hunting - feel free to pm me for more information.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tag application would be early summer. have you considered the Bob Marshall wilderness area in Montana.?? Beautiful scenary and good trail maps available. Good luck.

Posts: 42 | Location: Western Pa. | Registered: 23 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vegard,

PM member "Express". He came from Europe last year and did a self guided hunt here in Colorado. Just the cost of the non-resident tag (500$) and renting a truck/buying gear for the trip. Let me know if you have any questions on seasons/area and such, I'll help all I can.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote