Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronghorn hunt
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking into a pronghorn rifle hunt for 2014 or 2015. I want to take my dad on a hunt and pronghorn are fun and rather inexpensive. We will be buying a point in WY this year. I would like to pay an access fee and hunt a private ranch where we can draw with 1 point but am open to advice on units with decent public access we can draw with 1 point. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not too concerned with trophies, more just to spend some time with my dad out west.

Posts: 11 | Location: Kindred, ND | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted pronghorn on the eastern side of Wyoming quite a few times. Not much public land but, a fair amount of walk-in areas.

We also knocked on doors and asked permission to hunt private land and 90% of the time got it.

Never had a problem drawing or filling my buck tag and several times bought 4 doe tags and filled those.

Most of the pronghorns we took were 13" or so. We have gotten a few in 15's.

2010 was the last time I hunted there, not sure how the drought has affected the antelope.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in New Mexico, send me a PM. No drawing involved.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unit 23 doesn't take any PPs and there are a ton of leftover tags every year all the way through the season It has been a 2 buck unit for some time and up to 4 does if things stay the same (2 in the draw and 2 as leftovers). The G&F Office in Gillette has a list of ranchers that allow access for a fee. Many times they'll let you hunt does for free, but they charge a pretty decent price for a buck. It has a ton of goats and is as good a unit as you'll get with goats at an all time high in that area right now. If you want to buy a PP and do a DIY hunt, you can probably get a tag in unit 27 to the south of there to hunt the National Grasslands with 1PP. I hunted it in 2010 down in the souteastern part known as the Red Hills and there were plenty of goats there, but not as many as there are up in 23 because of so much private land up there.

posted Hide Post
Still looking for any advice on this hunt, any one else have any advice?

Posts: 11 | Location: Kindred, ND | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
where we can draw with 1 point

G&F website has drawing odds. Might help you narrow it down, then start in those areas where you stand a good chance, call chamber offices, local G&F warden or biologist. Walk in areas, hunter management. You have one point, apply in any unit where there is lots of public land, if you don't draw, there are always tags left in areas with lots of private land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted area 47 last year for does. I think 1 point will get you a buck tag in the area, and definitely get the two doe tags. Lots of public land, very easy access, and lots of antelope to hunt. I stayed in Casper and drove in each day. About a 45 minute drive.

The bucks will average 12-13". If you have good glass and take your time, you can find a few larger. I shot a doe standing next to a solid 15" buck. He would easily score in the 80's.

Hope this helps. If you think of a deer/antelope combo (which is what I did), I wouldn't bother with deer in that area. They are there, but not plentiful, and there is a lot of pressure on the public land for them. CWD has knocked the population down a lot.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmiller:
Still looking for any advice on this hunt, any one else have any advice?

Well I grew up in the part of Wyoming with the most antelope
In the state
Look at the area above Riverton Wyoming " Beaver Mountain" and the Area around
Lysite Wyoming " Lost Cabin" probably best choices, pretty much the center of the state. The area above and around Rock Springs toward Kemmerer- Evanston is also good
Tags are probably the best odds nd most of it is not private land
I will research a decent guide or private ranch for you if you want. I still know a few peeps around there

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote