Find
Notify
Tools

Western Wyoming Antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Took Friday off and went hunting.

I drove to Area 89 in Western Wyoming near Big Piney, about an hour and a half drive. Pulled off the highway and thru a BLM gate and started looking for goats. I got off the highway about 5 miles and started hunting by spotting a small group; two bucks and four does. Bucks were quite rutty. Long story short, 1000 yards of trying didn't work but managed to work up a really good thirst. I knew I should have put that Camelback on... Made a beeline to get that Camelback, so I could start hunting again...

I then found a buck and two does. The buck immediately looked like a shooter so I "commenced" the stalk. Wind was good, sun was good. Terrain was OK, cover was bad. After about 200 yards, the wind switched about 130 degress...right to them. They took off and I wrote them off.

I moved to the next drainage, about a mile to the north and there they were...so I tried again. It took me a little while to get there, and they seemed to have forgotten about me, and I had much better cover for this stalk...This time I was successful. My Model 70 Safari, .375 H&H, with a 300 gr. Sierra did the job right nice. Here he is.

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor, I hunted that area several times. Some nice bucks cime out of there. Haven't been able to draw it again though as the draw odds are low for NR hunters. Looks like a nice buck.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah, they aren't as thick there but it's not a bad spot. I couldn't go this time, maybe next year.

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote