New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youth Hunt Drawings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So my son turned 11 and passed his hunter's saftey a few months ago (California).

He has to wait one year to put into the CA draw but I've been putting him in for all the drawings that I can find that have "youth only" type tags available in the draw.

So far what I've put him in for:

New Mexico (elk, deer, sheep)
Arizona (elk)
Washington (trophy and ewe sheep, moose trophy and anterleess)

Any advice on youth tags I should be looking at? Please send any and all suggestions! thank you

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Colorado next year, there are a few exclusive youth hunts you can apply for. Plus there are youth tags you can draw for Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, and Bear they are not youth only hunts but the cheapest time to hunt Colorado as a nonresident is as a youth. Just visit the CPW web site and look at the hunting regulations and dive into the statistics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since your already buying the cheap nonresident youth license in AZ I’d recommend buying bonus points for at least deer and antelope. It’ll never be cheaper for him to build points. We’ve also got some great junior deer tags. He should easily be able to draw 2-3 quality junior deer tags before he turns 18.

Posts: 150 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trouble with NM is that you pay the full fare for a non-resident youth...
Roll Eyes

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Our New Mex youth tags are a great deal. I'd do youth Antelope, Ibex, and Oryx if I was you as well.

He ought to draw one or two of those. Just make sure they are giving away a non-resident tag in that unit. Odds probably suck, but just like everything else you have to be in it to win it.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Utah elk (youth).

Your son would be allowed to hunt the general unit(s) early. Or, there is a late hunt that he could apply for as well. I would certainly choose the early hunt.

It's not an easy draw. One of my son's drew as a resident, one did not. My son killed a 4x5. We did see a bull that was was probably in the 360" range. However, I (and him) did not feel comfortable with him taking a long shot.

My youngest (3rd son) has applied again, and this will be his last chance to draw. I hope that he does!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
If you have or can get access to property in Texas, take your kid there. Youth licenses are very affordable and bag limits are generous in most counties for whitetails and turkeys. Depending on the area, he might also have some fun with hogs or various exotics.

Remember too that bear and cougar are over-the-counter in NM, so once you spring for the license consider hunts for either of those. There might be some leftover deer and javelina licenses later this summer too that you can get OTC.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for all the great info guys. I appreciate it. I'm going state by state and trying to get him what I can. Definitely loading him up for everything in AZ. A lot of the other states will kick in next year when he is 12 so I might revisit this thread again then.

Anyone familiar with Idaho youth tags? Seems like they have mentor program but sounds like the adult has to have the tag as well. I put in for sheep in Idaho so I do not put in for the controlled elk and deer hunts. Wondering if they have any youth only tags that he can apply for just on his own?

thanks again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southwesthunter:
Since your already buying the cheap nonresident youth license in AZ I’d recommend buying bonus points for at least deer and antelope. It’ll never be cheaper for him to build points. We’ve also got some great junior deer tags. He should easily be able to draw 2-3 quality junior deer tags before he turns 18.

definitely building points for him on all species. any advice on specific youth deer hunts? I am looking at the regs but do not know much about the non-strip units. thank you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone familiar with Idaho youth tags? Seems like they have mentor program but sounds like the adult has to have the tag as well. I put in for sheep in Idaho so I do not put in for the controlled elk and deer hunts. Wondering if they have any youth only tags that he can apply for just on his own?

thanks again!

Both the youth and Mentor need to gave the same tags. The youth will pay
Resident fees, as a non resident.

However, since both need the same tag, the youth hunts would not apply in this
situation.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

thanks again!

Both the youth and Mentor need to gave the same tags. The youth will pay
Resident fees, as a non resident.

However, since both need the same tag, the youth hunts would not apply in this
situation.

that is what I figured. I just thought I would ask just in case there were some "youth only" tags out there that did not require the mentor/adult to have a tag.