THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Outfitted Honeymoon Hunt suggestions....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitted Honeymoon Hunt suggestions....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,
Lookin for some suggestions on a possible honeymoon hunt in N.A. for myself and my 'fiance' for either 2006 or 2007. I've got good connections in Canada for moose, deer, elk, bears, goats, etc so I'm kinda looking down south where we could do a 'nice-weather' hunt and enjoy the area. I was considering maybe an antelope in NM, AZ, WY, etc but would need to have a chance at a good goat (78+) and would want it to be an enjoyable hunt for a girl as well.
The other thing floating in my mind was a possible exotic hunt down in Texas or something. Possibly an Audad hunt, not really sure. I'm not a huge fan of 'penned' hunts and would want something that was enjoyable and challenging.
Open to any other suggestions that may come flying out here. I would like to keep the hunt below $4000/person. Any suggestions?

Posts: 94 | Location: East Kootenays | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For antelope I'd get a hold of Kirk Kelso for a hunt in N Mex.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other idea would be to take a trip to Vancouver Island and hunt black bruins with Shockey.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey,
Black bears can be done in Alberta or from an outfitter in BC who is a friend for cheap/free. Kinda lookin for somethin a bit different.....good suggestion though Mark....it would be fun...

Posts: 94 | Location: East Kootenays | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Have you hunted with Kelso before? Just checked out his website and man is that amazing! He has some truly amazin antelope. I'm thinkin I might end up just booking a hunt for her and maybe letting her do the shooting and save myself the costs of a second hunt. Not sure yet, but I know we dont really NEED 2 big antelope.
Still open to any other suggestions of course....

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rackmastr:

would want it to be an enjoyable hunt for a girl as well.

That's mostly your job, bub. If you do it right, it won't matter what you two chase during daylight hours. Smiler

Good catch BTW, and congrats. Sounds like a keeper!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the Hawaii opportunities? Great Mouflon sheep and Axis deer in awesome surroundings. Not to mention boar.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey,
Actually, by 'enjoyable for a girl' I guess I meant just not a penned hunt that is a 'shoot'. I want it to be a fun hunt for both of us, and I think different outfitters have different ideas on what is most important.
I'll look into Hawaii though...that might be a good choice....

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Is this your idea of a joke?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod,
A joke? What the hell are you talkin about? Did you read properly or are you confused?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rack-I've worked with KK down in Sonora on hunt for Coues, which may also be a good hunt for you to consider.

Aside from bruins, coues are my number 1!

I've not been in his N Mex lope camps but have heard from good buds who've hunted and worked them many good things about them.

He is a good contact to check into for these types of things.

Mark D

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hawaii idea sound good and there are a lot of different things to hunt there.

I know this is not on your listed game species but you could always book a guided Pheasant hunt in North Dakota. Hunting starts at noon so you have the morning to lounge around, enjoy the woolpool (provided your lodge/outfitter accomodations have them) sight see, target shoot, etc. An outfitted hunt like this often includes cleaning of the cirds and at least two outstanding full service meals plus a field lunch.

I did an outfitted Antelope hunt a couple years ago. Depending on the accomodations this too would be doable as it is not overly exhausting.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on how "exotic" you want to go in TX, there are plenty of non-penned hunts -- Nihlgi, Axis, moufflon, fallow, and Russian Boars tend to run wild through large portions of the state -- I've had all the previous, except Nihlgi on my ranch at one time or another.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kirk is a friend of mine, and he hunts the antelope property beside mine..I have known him a Long time, and have hunted with him 3 times in Mexico. He will make SURE that your fiance'-wife has a good time. He has guided alot of women, and or couples..If you want to be a bit more challenged he will do the same for you in Mexico with Coues, but it will be a bit harder, but you will also get to Hunt 5-6 days, instead of 1-2 for antelope. By the way Roxie is his wife, and they are partners in the outfitting biz, and she is always on the Antelope hunt, and sometimes in Mexico with the Coues. You will not find a better Outfitter. For the money you are talking about, I personally would do the deer hunt, about the same price, but a lot more exotic, and cool. The food is great, and the ranches are nice.. He takes alot of monsters every year..
If you go to his Coues deer pictures mine is on page 3 left side middle, and was taken on the same hunt with Harold which is on page 2 right in the middle..
Tell him Lee sent ya..

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
check out www.indianheadranch.com He has 20,000 acres all surounded by one fence. If 200 miles of ranch isn't big enough then nothing is.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to suggest you consider Vermejo Park Ranch, Raton New Mexico. My husband and I have been there four times. It is hard to believe a place like this still exists, 588,000 acres of unfenced wilderness. The accomodations are second to none. Their website is www.vermejoparkranch.com

Congratulations and all the best to you both.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Congrats Rackmastr. I did the same thing for our honeymoon in Sept. 2005. Married on the 24th, stayed home for about a week, my buddies left to moose camp, and my wife & I went to Whistler-stayed at Chateau Whistler and went golfing. Then headed up the west coast to go Salmon fishing! She had a blast since she had never fished for salmon before. And I was equally happy b/c since the guys were getting their moose, we got a freezer full of salmon, and a honeymoon to remember.
Good luck to you!

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rackmastr, good job finding a wife to go on a "hunting honeymoon!"

My wife and I went to NZ for a Tahr/Chamois hunt in April. We did it for less than your price limit posted above...I posted some info here:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../723103183#723103183

I think a hunt in South Texas for Nilgai would be really nice. You can go in the winter/spring, and the weather would be terrific. The lodging down there tends to be really nice on the big ranches. I can't recommend a particular outfit, but the King Ranch is the most well-known. The hunts are usually $1500 or less.

Another great hunt would be for an exotic or two at Indianhead ranch, as posted already. It's fenced one at least a couple of sides, but the terrain is such that the hunting is FAR from "canned" etc.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote