New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixed power scopes vs. variable?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a variable Leupold 2.5-8x on my .338WM for over eight years now, and haven't had any problems whatsoever, except that once I put a dent on the tube when it hit my ATV's handle bar while riding. I sent it to Leupold to make sure it was OK, and got it back the following week. No problems were found, but they cleaned it, tested the seals, performed the usual clarity test they do, replaced the dented turret caps, and sent it back to me free of charge.

This scope is lightweight, and a little on the short side. So far I set it to 6x or maybe 8x is when shooting at the range. When hunting, I set to 2.5x, and occasionally 6x for longer "moose" shots of 250 yards or so.

I agree with some of you that the heavier a scope is the more it is affected by recoil. I could be imagining things, but I see lots of big rifles with compact and fixed power scopes.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Ray, without getting too longwinded, I'll just say this: I won't compromise performance for the sake of tradition or cosmetic gratification. You can't afford to these days, at least in my opinion, but then opinions do vary, even amoung respected friends!

Nearly twenty years ago, we hosted in our Oregon elk camp a fellow who fancied himself quite a dude. For a paid-up hobby, he recruited and helped clients put together fine custom rifles (as sort of a high-class pimp if you will.....!) complete with fine metalwork, fine wood, engraving if desired etc. All the client had to do is provide a general idea of what he wanted and write a check!

This man loved to recreate 1930s & 40s style custom rifles for his own consumption in the Bob Owen/ Griffin & Howe / Thomas Shelhammer style. Usually he'd obtain vintage scopes and have them reconditioned for his own projects. The year he hunted with us, he had a G&H-style .35 Whelen on a commercial Mauser action, complete with a rebuilt Noske scope - the type with internal adjustments that Noske built right after WWII to compete with Lyman's Alaskan.

Anyhow, after a real gullywasher on opening day, that ancient scope of his had taken on water like a cheap pair of boots and looking through it was like gazing through the backside of a fresh bottle of milk. This silly pilgrim spent the next couple of days in camp untilthe rain quit and his scope dried out, contemplating the Kornbrath-style engraving on that lovely rifle of his, dreaming that he was hunting with Frank Golatta up in the Rockies someplace, no doubt!

At least you don't (as a rule!) have to put up with such nonsense with a modern fixed-power Leupold!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
I have one of those nice old 6X leupolds I think if your interrested, but it may be just a fixed 6...

I just put a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan on my Win. M-54, in 9.3x62 caliber with a slim stock and schenable forend, 26" Lothar-Walther barrel, M-70 safty conversion unit, Pricise metals old M-70 magnum screw gizzie shallow v rear sight and a NECG adjustable front sight. glassed and Talley fitted R&B's

Looks good, feels good, shoots good, is good....

Actually I built two of them, but sold the Mod. 70 to Kyle who posts here...It is probably a little more desirable to most than the 54, but my floor plate will never come open [Big Grin]

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
I guess Atkinson is right... It all depends...
...but I think of it like this:
-Any wich way you turn, hunting is a sport that sometimes requires fast decision and action... anything used in such an event should be as simple as possible.... no knobs, no turrets no nothing... (It�s not a coincidence Glock makes the best combat pistols in the world!?)
..A fixed power is always simpler to operate than a variable, however if you plan to use your rifle in a more versatile manner (ie hunt more than one condition and mainly on harmless creatures) then you should considder the variable...

one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things come to mind here. It has been suggested that a good top quality variable offers superior twilight performance to a single coated 4X. True, but a 6X, especially a 6X42 with multicoatings, offers more than the comparable variable.
It has been suggested that a 6X has very little field of view for close shooting, but a 4X does. Really ? The difference, at 25 yds, is a leeway of two feet over 3 feet. You can't point a rifle that well ? I suggest with practice anyone can. I have noticed that the US Marines teach their snipers how to use their 10X scoped sniper rifles in close quarter fire fights. It can be done, even with a 13.5 lb., 10X scoped rifle.
There is also a big difference image brightness, and, in some cases, range of focus between a fixed power and a variable. Try comparing a 10X Mk.4 Leo. to the company's 3.5-10X LR scope. Extra lenses and optical compromises do make a difference. Last, but not least, I've noticed a trend among traveling hunters to go for a mount set up that allows one to pack a spare scope in case of scope failure. Instead of two identical scopes, how about a 2.5 for day light, close quarter work, and a 6X42 for stand hunting under low light conditions ? That way one would get the best of both worlds. E

[ 08-08-2002, 17:30: Message edited by: Eremicus ]

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
I could agre with you if it were�nt for your choice of low light scope!!
I would opt for the 8x56 with a 30mm tube any day of the week for low light conditions.....
....try one and you will never leave it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't tell any difference in brightness between my swarovski PF 6x42 and my swarovski PV 1.5-6x42.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
I agree with 1894 in the aspect of swarowskis... they are a high quality piece of equipment, and the difference between a variable and a fixed power is very small...
...however in the lower prices the difference becomes clear, more lenses of low quality makes for low lighttransmission.
...the answer is:
-Never buy a cheap scope, and always buy the scope you think is up to the task at hand and you can�t go wrong!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that many scope manufacturers don't produce fixed power scope that are equivalent to their top of the line variable. I suppose demand does have a lot to do with it (I don't own any fixed power scopes). However I noticed, while flipping through the Cabelas catalog, that Leupold is using their Multi Coat 4 (same coating as the Vari-X III) on their 6x fixed scopes. And Nikon has a 4x fixed in their Monarch line. I don't have much experience with the Nikons but my Leupold Vari-X III's are very clear and a fixed with their clarity would seem to be very adequate. I know that's not a lot of options for the fans of high quality fixed power scopes, but I guess it's better than nothing!

Bob