1 can corn
1 can sliced carrots
1 can green beans
1 package Lipton onion soup
5 peeled and cubed potatoes
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 chopped onion

Pile all igredients in a crock pot and let her bump for 10-12 hours.

A pan of fresh homemade corn bread goes along well...

and if you want a little kick, a tsp or 3 of Louisiana Red Hot Smiler

Em Em good, just had another bowl for lunch.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Now that's a simple, classic, appealing meal that I can relate to. Looks quite yummy!

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks and sounds like a good meal. I can't get over using loin (backstrap) in a stew, however. We use loin for steak, and use shoulder cuts for stew. Good eatin' either way!

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
That looks and sounds like a good meal. I can't get over using loin (backstrap) in a stew, however. We use loin for steak, and use shoulder cuts for stew. Good eatin' either way!

Bill
I hear that! I thought the same thing when I read the title of the post. It all sounds like a damn good meal except I would trade the Louisiana Red Hot for Frank's RedHot. Then add a nice cold Dos Equis or Blue Moon Belgian White and some sourdough rolls.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:

Bill

+1. Good on you for enjoying your wild meat however you like, but to me using a loin for stew is like grinding up a couple of Ribeyes or T-Bones to make a meatloaf and ketchup sandwich...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Well, to be honest, elk is not our favorite venison. It comes in behind Mulie and whitetail for us and seems to be a darker/richer/wilder tasting meat if you will. I prefer steaks of mulie then whitetail.

The elk makes good stews and bbq sandwiches though.

You could use just about any cut of venison for the stew.

Good stuff either way Smiler

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Thanks Reloader, now I'm hungry and there isn't a bit of game in the freezer Roll Eyes.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
Well, to be honest, elk is not our favorite venison. It comes in behind Mulie and whitetail for us and seems to be a darker/richer/wilder tasting meat if you will. I prefer steaks of mulie then whitetail.

The elk makes good stews and bbq sandwiches though.

You could use just about any cut of venison for the stew.

Good stuff either way Smiler

Have a Good One,

Reloader
Ya, know I wasn't lucky enough to get an elk last year but for me it usually is number one on my last ahead of whitetail, muley, and then antelope respectively. But lately I have been eating the hell out of the couple of antelope does I shot last year. I marinate the steaks in a honey dijion vinegarette and when they are done cooked up they taste just like lamb and are tender enough to cut with a fork. Even the round steaks! And the cube steaks make excellent sandwiches on sourdough with some beaver honey mustard!

Sorry about that, I work on the road and my hotel this week doesn't have a fridge. I am feeling a little deprived and abused. I think I might be having withdrawals. Wink

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. May have to try it if we tag some 'lopes this year.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Reloader-

Geez...you just put my appetite into OVERDRIVE!

Enjoying nature's bounty is just one of hunting's many rewards -- and something never mentioned or considered by the greenies.

Thanks for sharing.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote