New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big 8pt Down...on video!!!
 Login/Join

Picture of Peyton
posted
I saw this buck briefly 2 years ago. Back then he was a 10pt and I thought he was 4yrs old, so I passed on him.

Today I was sitting in the same box blind overlooking a dried up oat patch and a road. There were several active scrapes along the road, so I had high hopes of seeing some bucks. After a few hours, the buck showed up, I turned on the camera, realized he was an 8pt and decided to take him. I grabbed for my rifle as he was walking out of the frame, got a good rest, re-focused the camera, and took the shot. I think I hit him pretty good Razzer

This all happened in about 1 minute's time! I would have been in a bow blind, but it was bitter cold, windy, and raining. Thanks to the storm, I went to the blind with my rifle to scout and look for a doe. Sometimes, decisions are made for a reason! Big Grin

Big 8 Video

Posts: 10 | Location: TX | Registered: 22 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck and shot. What caliber did you use and what was the range? The buck was DRT, where did you hit him?
Again very nice deer and thanks for sharing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peyton,

Nice footage, geat poke and a beautiful buck. Where do people get this idea that a deer has to broadside before you can make a killing shot. Your frontal shot could have not been more efective if you had used a howitzer.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Great looking 8pt! Good shot too cheers

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peyton, great job, with the video and the shot! Like David, I'm curious what rifle/caliber etc. you used, how far a shot, and kinda the lowdown on the buck's antlers. He looks HUGE. What kind of spread did he have, any idea of a B&C score?

Thanks for sharing the video, that's really too cool.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

I'll take any angle shot like that. I never wait for a broadside shot. I'm guessing the bullet entered the left side of the neck and produced an exit wound around the last rib on the right side of the bucks body.

The game and fish dept from my home state suggested a front shoulder shot for quick knockdown, which is what I've seen when I hit them there.

Congrats!

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the video! Sweet.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

Picture of Peyton
posted Hide Post
Thanks yall!! Big Grin

I used a 300 win mag, with hornady 165gr btsp bullets. It does the job everytime the shot is true. The buck was a very muscular 235lbs live weight. He was standing at attention at 100yds and seemed like he was ready to bolt. I thought about waiting on him to turn, but I was afraid he would be gone. The frontal center mass or neck/opp shoulder shot can stop them in their tracks.

He ended up scoring 156 gross with a 22"inside spr and his teeth indicated 6.5yrs. He was in his prime for sure and will yield about 90lbs of boned meat for sausage and jerky. His dbl neck spot will make a purdy mount. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Great looking buck. Anytime an 8 pt. gets over 140", they are really impressive. Congratulations on a solid, mature buck. thumb

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! thumb

I can't get over how that country looks like Africa!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NICE deer, good video, Great shot.
I love it when they go right down.

Well Done. thumb Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
"think used enough dynamite there, Butch"

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Peyton
posted Hide Post
Lol...dynamite...that's funny right there Cool

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
That deer freaking crumpled...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
From the taxidermists viewpoint, a neck shot should never even be considered. Aside from the anatomical difficulty and the high probability of a lingering wound that will allow the animal to escape discover, there's damage you're going to inflict that even "a good taxidermist" can't repair. When we remove that bullet hole with the cut hair of an entrance wound, YOU LOSE CIRCUMFERENCE of the neck.

John Wooters described years ago about the lethality of the high shoulder shot. There is a nerve cortex right where the front shoulder (which is NOT attached to the skeleton in any way - just like a rabbit) is formed by the scapular bone or "paddle". A shot here paralyzes the animal and it seldom moves from where it's standing.

I know, I know. The head shot, "neck shot" or really the severing of the spine, will do the same thing, but those are just "iffy" shots for a responsible hunter. A puff of wind or a twitch of an eyelid can make even the best marksman pull a shot occasionally. When excitement levels are high, as in a hunting shot situation, I try to pinpoint a small hair to hit, but I want the hair sitting in an area that gives me the wides margin for error.

That was a GREAT video clip and a great shot. I love that load in my own .300 mag and it's proven great medicine for mule deer, moose, elk, caribou, and bear as well for me.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peyton, that buck looks familiar. Did you bring him by the Fire Station to Biela this morning???

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Peyton
posted Hide Post
Nah Walker...I didn't bring him by the station. I passed thru SA last Fri on 35, if that counts!

Picture of Peyton
posted Hide Post
George....I agree that it's not the best shot placemement, but because he was so close and so alert, I decided not to wait for him to step broadside.
I think you're right about the damage to the front of the neck. Because his skin was stretched at the point of impact, there was a large entry hole just off the bottom white patch. Unfortunately, one of the best things about this buck's cape, is the double white spot.

Believe me, I was happy to get the buck when I did because it was perfect video and the rut is starting and fights are happening everyday now. I didn't want to let him slip away, so I chose a tricky shot, but I have learned a lesson about messin' up the cape. Thanks for pointing it out Smiler

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
LOL Peyton, I'd have popped the cap the same as you did. Far too many whirl and never give you that flat shoulder. And as a taxidermist, I accept that sometimes even the best of shots has to take something less than the best shot.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Nice bang flop shot and a helluva nice 8 point!! Congrats Peyton!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the video. Nice buck!

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
That is a NICE buck! Congrats on the kill, and on making a perfect shot. Looks like he was dead before he hit the ground.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
In the words of a famous poster here on AR, "You done killed that sum bitch..."

Great looking animal and thanks for the video.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peyton,

Nice shot and nice deer.

Was it just me, or was he favoring (limping) on his left front leg?

You may have saved him quite a bit of suffering.
On the other hand, it could have just been the ususal pain bucks get from sparring.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Peyton, was that buck behind the shooter bigger than the one taken? It sure looked like it. Did you consider this deer a cull buck or a trophy? I have used the Hornady BTSP in my 7mag with results like that. Great video and trophy.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Peyton
posted Hide Post
Garrett....the buck wasn't injured. I bet he was just sore from whippin' some a$$! Big Grin

Perf....the other buck with him is a 4-5yr 10 pt that would score in the 140's. He'll be prime in another year or two. He's behind the 8 on mass, beams, spread, and tine length.
The 8pt is considered a management buck because he was mature and only has 8 points. He is an exceptional mgmt buck, definitely not our norm. I think he'll be the largest 8pt we've ever killed in 25yrs!! Smiler