Find
Notify
Tools

Last Day Mulie
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I had hunted pretty hard at the "Honey Hole" all this year. My secret spot, no I won't tell you where it is!

I saw a huge Mulie there over Thanksgiving, but no legal opportunity presented itself, as he would not cross my neighbors fence, so when this last Sunday rolled around, I was destined to end Mule Deer season, once again, without filling my Texas Mule Deer tag.

I had clients for Friday and Saturday. We hunted pretty hard and I was beat down so I decided not to hunt Sunday morning and just spend it on our ranch with my wife. We made plans to meet friends in town for lunch that day so we left the ranch about noon.

I packed up my stuff, locked the gate and drove toward town.

I am not 1/2 mile out of the gate when I see a Mule Deer in my neighbors cotton field. I stop and get my binoculars and look and see that this is the same Mulie that I had seen many times before. He is a prime example of a "cull buck".

I get on the phone, call the landowner, who is a very good friend of mine, to see if he has anyone in camp that might want to shoot this guy. He says, "No, go ahead and shoot him if you want him. He needs to be removed anyway."

Nuff said. Unless I run into another Mulie Buck between this one and the road, I will not have a chance until next year seeing as how this is the last day of Mule Deer season.

Ok, I am now in hunting mode. I get the gun out of the case. Get back in the truck and drive toward where he crossed the fence into my friends cotton. He sees me and knows what is up. He starts to walk, pretty fast away from the fence. I stop, get out, run through the ditch, crawl through the fence.

I sit down just inside the fence. He has started to run now. I yell at him in hopes that he will stop, if maybe just for a second or two.

No deal. He keeps running.

I lean against the fence post, fold out the bipod, extend each leg, and put each leg of the bipod on top of each of my feet since rhe legs are not quite long enough for me to use from a seated position. Not the most stable shooting platform, but better than no rest at all.

He is running at a slow run now, quartering away from me. At 200 yards, I guess that this is it or nothing. By the time I squeeze the trigger he is about 225 yards.

I put the crosshairs a couple of feet in front of him and slowly squeeze. After I came down off the recoil, the last thing I saw was his head disappear into the cotton.

Not much of a hunt, but I will take it!

Perfect cull buck. He was an old deer and still a "forky" or 2x2. A perfect end to the Mule Deer season.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story. The old saying goes-
Never lock the front door until the cash register is closed.
Always in the hunting mode!
Thanks
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Last year I got mine on the last morning of my hunt. I think it was a great feeling. You begin to think about going home without one and all the sudden, a buck wanders in front of you and your whole year is changed

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote