Weather in Montana Oct/November ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
/

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Alf, as the Montana based guys will tell you, weather can very from sunshine to snow storms all in one day. Last Fall it was below zero F. w/ winds blowing every morning for almost a week. The year before that I was hunting in a short sleeve shirt. Plan on bringing layers of clothing so you can mix & match according to the weather that day.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF, since I live here I may be able to help a little. It is true that the weather is a bit unpredictable in the fall. However the last couple of years it has been relatively mild. If you bring long sleeve shirts, coats, and some good insulated underwear you should be good to go. Just don't show up in short sleeved shirts and shorts or you might find things a bit nippy. What part of the state are you hunting the east or west side, northern or southern? That can make a difference too. In the west you will likely be in the mountains and it's pretty much always cold. In the east it can be bitter cold but much of the hunting is done from vehicles so it takes some of the sting out of it. Ask whoever is guiding you what he thinks you should bring.

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
In 1998 I was elk hunting in Novemeber in temp's from the low 50's to mid 60's at 8,000'... in 2000 it was -15F... things can and do change radically and there's aboslutely no way to know what'll happen. Out on the flats it'll generally be less severe, but the weather here is very unpredictable and I'd bring clothing for any possibility down to 10F.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Friends:

A pair of african hunters need info on Montana for the coming fall hunt.

We each drew a combo mule deer and pronghorn for the fall hunt and we have a guided Bison hunt on Crow indian reserve thrown into the deal.

Our plans are taking us to Montana the last week of October, first first week of November.

What can we be expecting Weather wise? ( this is important cause we will have to do the Cabelas or Filson thing in advance as our traditional african hunting clothes dont measure up to the cold wet and definitely not to snow.

Pronghorn will likely be on sage flats; I will be doing a similar trip and will be prepared for chilly. On similar antelope trips I've been snowed on and I've also seen 80 degree days. In general I expect 60 degrees during the day and 30 degrees at night.

If it rains on the sage flats, get yourself to the nearest road with a little stone in it; the gumbo mud is a lot like driving in ten inches of molybdenum grease, except that grease doesn't stick to the wheel wells until they tires can't turn any more. One trip I still had mud stuck to the underside of my fenders after driving 2200 miles home.

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought to be aware of that some buck antelope start to drop their horns end of October November time frame.
You are probably ok but you might want to ask somebody up there about if that will be a problem or not or maybe one of the guys that live up there can chime in with the facts for that area.

Think cold wind. A fleece jacket with windstopper will be worth its weight in gold that time of year.
Definitely layers as opposed to a heavy coat.
Normally it is much colder in the evening and morning than it is in the afternoons if the weather is good. Odds are you will spend more time in the cold than in the heat.
Figure 30 to 45 in the mornings and 45 to 70 in the afternoons. Pretty wide ranges and if you get a cold snap with snow and wind you will want to be prepared for it, you can always dress down if it is nice weather.
Sounds like you guys have a great hunt planned, good luck.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure do hope your amigo's have a super time out here.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf: I have been Hunting for Antelope and Mule Deer in the area you describe since 1969! I have Hunted there virtually every year! I love that country! Last year my partner and I were east of the Crow Reservation and somewhat north of it. We had done two pre-season scouting trips and had our Antelope valley scouted real well! We both had very nice Antelope by 9:30 AM opening morning! We did sleep out on the prairie in the back of the truck covered by the trucks canopy on this trip! It got down to 20 degrees the night before the Antelope opener last year (October 13th as I recall) and my medium weight sleeping bag was not enough! The days were pleasing up to about 60ish and windless that opener. Yes be prepared for anything but one set of foul weather gear and several sets of lighter weight camo gear will get you through the two weeks I am sure! Also the thin sets of long johns and tops will come in handy under the light camo stuff if it is cold. I remove these mid day if it gets warm. I have Hunted Antelope in both Montana and Wyoming and the Bucks horns sometimes start loosening up around November 10th - 15th. The Antelope season closes the 9th of November this year in Montana. So you should be OK horn wise. If they are loose go ahead and remove them and save them in a cool spot. The taxidermist or you can glue them back on to the horn sheaths once back home! I used to Hunt a late Antelope season in Wyoming that closed every year on November 15th. About 1/3 of the Bucks had loose horns by then. I saw an Antelope neck shot on this Hunt once where one of the horns flew off on bullet impact! But that should not be a problem for much fretting for you guys! You will be succesful long before then on the Antelope I am sure! Maybe I will see you out there on the Prairie! I have not heard if I was succesful as yet for the Antelope draw out there!
Be sure and buy your friends a Turkey tag as the Turkey's are really doing well over thataway!
The Mule Deer populations are doing pretty well and there are some dandy Whitetails in the creek and river bottom valleys out there!
I have been over east in the country you are headed a couple of times this year Varmint and horn Hunting and the Antelope are realy doing well! Lots of them and lots of fawns! People are shooting more Coyotes these days and it sure helps the Antelope herds!
You can Hunt Turkeys in the fall with Rifles or shotguns so you may not have to bring extra guns! My partner and I last year were scouting around looking for Deer after we harvested our Antelope and we saw some huge flocks of Turkeys! We eventually found the ranch owner and he issued us the 160th and 161st free Turkey Hunting permission slips for his ranch - for that year! He said everyone had been successful so far! We both shot nice Turkeys - I got mine with my 17 MachIV Varmint Rifle and my partner shot one I called in with his shotgun! What a fun Hunt that was! I found 5 shed Whitetail antlers while Hunting Turkeys that day! Speaking of Varmint Rifles be sure and take a $9.95 Primos Model 323 Raspy Coaxer Coyote call along to call Coyotes with! You WILL see and hear some Coyotes in that country! It would be fun for your friends to call them in even if you don't harvest them!
I also hope you have a great Hunt, trip and see lots of Game!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My log book shows for October, warmest hunt was an elk killed at 75 degrees on the South Fork of the Flathead. Coldest hunt was minus thirty five at Jordan, hunting antelope. These temps can come as early as September.
November shows 20 degrees for an elk, and sixty two for deer. You pays your money , and you takes your chances.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to all:

Today I got a reply from the BATF about importation of my firearms and it was turned down, They were not happy with the model numbers on the guns so now I have to resubmit.

If I may ask - what was the problem with model numbers?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today I got a reply from the BATF about importation of my firearms and it was turned down, They were not happy with the model numbers on the guns so now I have to resubmit.

What exactly is the procedure? I've lived here my whole life but don't know what kind of hoops non-citizens have to jump through. Please educate those of us who don't know.

Tom

[ 07-30-2003, 20:47: Message edited by: TomP ]

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote