New
Find
Notify
Tools

sheep scouting 06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
been 30 yrs of applying and finally drew a sheep tag in my home state of wy.am making the best of it and started scouting 2 weeks ago.
a; to leg up the ponies
b;to leg up me and my saddle butt
to date 6 days in the high country and 40-45 miles covered,thru the course i've seen 1200 elk including 6 bulls 350+,12 buck deer,50-60 ewes and lambs,13 grizzly bears,9 rams.and amazingly 2 rattlesnakes above 8000ft.
5 more weekends to sheep season and plan a trip on every one of them,
i cannot help but to feel so lucky standing at 12000ft in my corner of the "world" surrounded by the wildlife and wild country.
sheep or no sheep, at that moment i am truely alive.i know i'm babbling but just wanted to share.more to follow including with luck, photos of a great ram.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good time hope you can stake out a big one.

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the prep work will be just as much fun as the hunt!

P.S. send coordiantes to location of big bulls. LOL

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
That scouting sounds like a good time, I will be elk hunting near Dubois, The Ramshorn area maybe... Good luck

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm excited about going moose hunting this year, and I'm sure I'll have fun chasing mule deer across the prairies. But nothing compares to hunting the high country! Good luck!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
ravenr,
What area did you draw? I scouted and succesfully hunted area 4 two years ago.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SORRY, BEEN MIA,DREW A AREA 2 TAG.NOT THE HISTORY OF SHEEP THAT THE OTHER AREAS HAVE BUT MEANS MORE DAYS IN THE FIELD AND HUNT ALITTLE HARDER,FOR "SOME" REASON THAT DOESN'T BOTHER ME

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote