New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many Kentuckians Out There?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many of you that frequent the forums are from Kentucky? Also, where abouts are you from? I live near Owensboro. Born, raised, and live here today.

Also, if you could, share your favorite hunting place by the county only. I am just checking to see about fellow hunters that might be near me that come here a lot.

Posts: 68 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey good buddy I am just down the road from you in Marshall County close to Benton to be exact near Kentucky Lake. I have bought some of my rifles at Whittakers up near you, it's hard to beat old Darrel's prices anywhere. My favourite hunting County is any in West Ky and Moffat in Colorado. Been on AR a while, you will find lots in good info here. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Aboard!

I'm up Northeast of Louisville for awhile. Having to deal with some family health issues concerning a relative.

Used to primarily hunt Oldham, Henry, Shelby, and Trimble Counties when I was a kid. Nearly all those old woods are gone now days to make room for HUGE houses built atop each other.

Just spoke to a fellow today about going to do some shooting on his son's place. Not sure how well that will work out, but it will sure beat driving and hour and a half (one way) and then paying $10 to shoot.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
phurley5

My mother in law is from Benton! It's kind of a small world. I know Darrel Whittaker very well, and have done a lot of business with him. His prices are pretty good, but you also should check out Uncle Lees in Greenville. My wife is from around there and I stumbled across Uncle Lees awhile back. Actually, I don't know for sure, but they may be closer to you, being from Benton.

As a matter of fact, we were thinkin' about takin' a trip tp the lake soon just to eat at Pattie's Place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
KentuckyMountainMan ----- Look me up if you are every down this way. There is another real good place to eat and it is run by a hunter. It is called "Antlers" and is located in a very attractive and impressive log building adjacent to the Holiday Inn Express in Draffenville, just north of Benton. He serves Elk that he raises near there as well as Bar-B-Q, steaks etc. Mention hunting and he will tell you tales of the Elk and Moose heads displayed there as well as African trophies he has taken over the years. I got togather with several "AR IDIOTS" at Dallas last year at the Dallas Safari Club convention, a good time was had by all. My understanding wife will put up with the repeated tales of Alaska, the American West and Africa for a good meal anytime. beer Good shooting

phurley

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I'm south and a litlle east of you guys, but Kentucky all the same. I live in Metcalfe County, work in Adair County, and I hunt mainly in Metcalfe. I do some hunting in Adair County and trips to LBL aren't as frequent as they once were, but I still hunt there from time to time.

I've heard a lot about Whitakers. What is his address? I go through Owensboro a couple of times per year taking the kids to Santa Claus, IN...I'll have to look him up. I went to Uncle Lee's in Greenville several years ago and bought some turkey gear. A buddy of mine was staioned at Ft. Campbell a few years ago and we went to an Uncle Lee's just past the fort.

Guys in these parts spend a lot of time and money at Gamaliel Shooting supply (www.gamaliel.com). I buy most of my guns from an independent dealer (one of those with his license hanging over his kitchen table). They've ruined the business for someone trying to have a gun shop around here. I know at least three in my area that will sell you a gun at their cost plus $10.00. Hard to beat that.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is Whittaker's place. www.whittakerguns.com

You do have to watch him if you are buying a pistol from him, though. I bought a Ruger from him not to long ago that was supposed to come with 3 magazines as part of a limited edition offer. Come to find out, he only had two in the box, and the other one was on the shelf with a $12 price tag on it. IF someone didn't know any better, they would not have caught it. He isn't the most honest gun dealer I know, but he does have some really good priced stuff. Also, be sure and watch him on the sales tax! I overpaid $15 on sales tax to him one time, and he did it on purpose! I always watch him from now on, and he knows not to try it on me.

He doesn't have his whole inventory on the website, but by the pictures you can tell he has a lot. He has almost one of everything from Cooper .22s all the way up to H&K Shotguns. He has almost 1 of every caliber in any style of rifle. At one time I had my FFL01 and I could buy guns cheaper from him than through some of the Big 5 companies. He is cheap on his stuff, and you can't beat his ammo selection either.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
looks like 4. Smiler

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
there's a bunch more. They just don't want to admit where they are from. Wink

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with Kentucky! I'm proud to live here. Not only do we have some of the biggest bucks, best hunting grounds, and prettiest women ... we also have the UK Wildcats! Wink

Not to mention Ashley Judd, Johnny Depp, Ned Beaty, The Judds, George Clooney, James Best a.k.a. Roscoe P. Coltrain from the Dukes of Hazard, The Everly Brothers, Michael and Darrel Waltrip, Jeff and David Green (all from Owensboro and in NASCAR )and quite a few others are from the good 'ole Bluegrass State. Not to mention that we have the Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Bourbon whiskey.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the biggest bucks, the best hunting grounds, and the prettiest women are in Texas. Never heard of the UK Wildcats. Are they a basketball team from England? I really don't care about the movie stars or NASCAR or the Kentucky Derby. But the Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey really hit home. Long live Jim Beam. beer

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is one big thing about Kentucky and Texas, yall sound like us. One good reason, Kentuckians helped settle Texas and fight the Mexicans. Old Dan Boones boy was right in the middle of it. wave Good shooting.

phurley