THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Christmas Eve season whitetail finale!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Eve season whitetail finale!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Season in West Virginia has been wet and sometimes cold.

Season started with a new bow that gave me fits! Missed a six point and wounded the same doe twice. Changed back to my old bow and took three deer ... a 4 point, a doe (the same one previously wounded twice), and a nice 10 point. Tagged out with the bow.

Gun season went pretty well with a button by pistol, a 4 point by 470 NE double rifle with cast bullets, and a doe by muzzle loader. Only sadness was that the ML doe went beyond view just as it started to absolutely pour. After getting soaked looking for her (no blood trail), I decided to hang it up until the next morning. At 8 am I found her but a large preditor had beat me there ... grumble, grumble, grumble.

On Christmas Eve I took out the scoped 9.3x74R Chapuis double rifle. The Chapuis is Christmas for me ;>Wink I popped a nice mature doe at 60 yards at 5:15. Kind of an African hit ... low just behind the foreleg with an exit across the body square in the middle of the offside foreleg. She lunged foreward about 15 yards, turned and piled up within 10 feet of where she was shot.

Am not going to repeat the mistake with the bow next year ... the new one is going to a friend who really likes Parkers and can set it up properly. Am going to use a heavier bullet in the ML as the light PowerBelt is accurate, but does not exit at 75 yards.

All in all, not too bad a season and a the freezer is full. West Virginia really is a hunter's paradise.

Hope you all had good memories of the season too.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mike, you'll really like the Parker, they are great quality. Sounds like an eventful season. I will try and get out a couple more times before the New year.

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote