THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Got the Sheep Hunting Monkey on My Back

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got the Sheep Hunting Monkey on My Back
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got back from Hawaii, where I ended up on a self-guided run for mouflon sheep at 9,000’ on Mauna Kea. I’ll post a report when I can lash one together, but until then, I’ve got some questions.

For several reasons, I’ll hunt sheep only in Hawaii for now. It’s illegal to stay in hunting areas overnight, so these will be day hunts. The valley floor is at 6,500’ and I have use of a reliable 4WD vehicle. A good road climbs past 13,500’ or I can park below that and traverse the contour lines.

The ground is rocky and rough, with little outcroppings, gulches and cliffs. The sheep live in moderate to thick brush and stand watch from the cliffs. With careful hunting, most shots could be from 75m to 200m. A light variable wind blows uphill constantly, but I doubt it’s strong enough to be much concern on those shots.

I have 7x42 Leica binoculars, a short, light, accurate rifle with a good scope, and a good rain jacket. I’m at home with a map and compass, and from my military service I have the right first aid/survival knowledge and gear. Once a sheep is down, I plan to bone it out and pack the meat out on a frame.

At this point I just want to learn the ropes. What do you recommend for pack frames, boots, or any other gear? What is the tipping point between binos and spotting scopes? What about an altimeter? Finally, I live 300’ above sea level, and the lack of oxygen at 9,000’ affected my judgement and generally kicked my ass. How to you train to hunt at altitude? What other tricks should I know?

Thanks in advance, Okie John.

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Okie, sounds like a solid plan and fun hunt... something I'd like to do!

As to gear, I'll always take a top quality daypack by a reputable maker from the backpack industry over any so-called "hunting" packs. "Mystery Ranch" packs made here in Bozeman are awesome... they're made and designed by Dana Gleason of "Dana Design" fame... he'll sew the bags in nearly any fabric color (including camo) you want and is making stuff for Special Op's guys as well.

Regarding conditioning, the only way to acclimate to altitude is to go to altitude... simple. As to excercise, running stairs is the best you can do.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second what Brad says about acclimation (Hi Brad, how're things in Bozeman and area?). I've worked up to 12,000 feet, and the only real way to get used to it is to be there exercising. I'll also put in a recommendation for Kifaru packs, good gear . - Dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Poor bastard...You have caught an uncurable affliction.
Welcome to the club.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Heya Dan... all's well... finishing up my house and will move in the end of March.

You'll be happy to know I picked up a Ruger stainless 350 RM (plastic stock and all-steel floorplate). 22" bbl (mic's .645" @ muzzle), 1-12" twist, 2.90" magazine and feeds perfectly... got it Saturday but haven't shot it yet. With sling, three rounds and a Leupold 2x7 weigh's a hair over 8.25 lbs... I'll re-stock in fiberglass and get it in the 7.75 lb area... it's off to Dave Gentry for a good bead blast first!

BA