Find
Notify
Tools

Mule deer experts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I am courious what you guys think this guy would score. Inside spread was 20".(BTW, this is not my deer)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I am by no means an expert, but I am going to guess 150 +/-. Might go bigger, but looks some what narrow. Does not really matter, I would not pass on him.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i make him close to 160 just eyeballin the pics.
width isn't everything, mass at the splits adds a lot,
and so does tine height/length.
i have a 30 incher hanging on the wall that makes about 160 b.t.w.
he's got a short tine and a broken one or he would have went 170+.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a client kill a deer (2012) that looked a lot like this buck and it scored 155". I would say upper 140's to lower 150's.

That's a nice respectable buck. tu2

Steve
www.skymountainoutfitters.com

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I ain't no "expert" but I'll chime in anyway. Wink

No more than 165 gross but probably less. Main beam length and G4s are weak, G1s might total 2 inches, and the greatest inside spread between the mains for scoring purposes appears to be about 18-20 inches. Mass is decent but not great and lenght of the G2s is good.

For me, he's a shooter regardless. BOOM

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don`t know what he would score,but I would take him if the opportunity was there!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think 150 ish not much more. He doesn't have any mass and no width so 150 may be giving him to much.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1238 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
140. His forks are small and that's where you get your points.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I would guess mid 140's. Others have already detailed the shortcomings.

On the other hand who cares. I know we all have to spit out things like G2's, beam length and base circumference when we are in the 'hunting business' but as I get older I find it makes me weary.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, here's my calcs...

I figure both sides will likely average about 5" for each of the four mass measurements for a total of 20 per side or 40 total.

The main beam length looks like it is at least 20 on each side for another 40 total.

Both G2s seem like they are at least 14-15 inches. Go with 14 for a total of 28.

G3s are in the neighborhood of 9-10. Go with 9 for another 18.

G4s likley about 8-9. Go with 8 for another 16.

Add 2 more for the G1s and 20 for the inside spread credit.

Grand total: 164 gross give or take

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a 160 gross B&C deer -

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Okay, here's my calcs...

I figure both sides will likely average about 5" for each of the four mass measurements for a total of 20 per side or 40 total.

20" of mass per side is impressive. My guess is this buck will be lucky to have 16" per side. He might have 4" measurements for his H1 and H2 but I doubt he'll have 4" on his H3 or H4. Mass can be deceiving when trying to field judge as B&C calls for the smallest circumference, not the biggest.

A few years back we killed a deer that got heavier as he went up and it was a FREAK but when we put the tape on him it was considered average at about 38" total.

My guess is about 150" on this buck but who knows

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going by the standard judgement of the eye having a circumference of about 4 inches, and the fact my thumb measures close to 3 inches around in the middle, and I have pretty skinny fingers. Even the bases of the G3s and G4s look bigger than that.

BUT..as I said, I ain't no "expert."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that anybody will care but when I field judge mass on a mule deer and I'm doing it quick I will break it down as follows...

Below average--16" or less 4" per measurement or less

Average--17"-18" 4 1/2" per measurement or a little less

Above average--18"-20" 5" per measurement

Obviously that per side

I don't ever really give a deer more than 40" when field judging as its uncommon to find deer that heavy. Anything over 40" is just massive IMO

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
I'm going by the standard judgement of the eye having a circumference of about 4 inches, and the fact my thumb measures close to 3 inches around in the middle, and I have pretty skinny fingers. Even the bases of the G3s and G4s look bigger than that.

BUT..as I said, I ain't no "expert."

You could be right, it's just hard to judge anything based on a mount with nothing for perspective. Especially an older looking mount that looks a little weathered. I will say that there is no chance it having 20" per side but it could have a little more than 16"

How I would score him in Mexico or on the plains is by saying "there's a buck" and keep driving Big Grin

No offense to the OP or anybody that would kill this one. We typically hunt areas where with the genetics we have and the age class we look for they are typically bigger than this.

That being said, there are areas where this is a damn big deer. If its a blacktail it's REALLY impressive

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
If its a blacktail it's REALLY impressive

I shot an old 10-point whitetail in MT a number of years back (not great genetics).....and I was with a bud's brother when I recovered it. When we walked up to it I said "he's not bad, huh?".....and he responded "he'd be a hell of a Coue's deer". Friggin' ballbuster. rotflmo

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll SWAG it at 152".

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
No offense to the OP or anybody that would kill this one. We typically hunt areas where with the genetics we have and the age class we look for they are typically bigger than this.

Thanks for all the great replies.

No need to worry about offending me, it's not my deer and the current owner did not shoot it either. It is an Idaho muley.

I really liked the looks of this buck. I know/knew that he wouldn't score well, but I found his rack interesting. The rack is very compact and it gives the illusion of having a lot of mass up top.

I know the bucks that score well have a lot more width and tine length. But sometimes they look spindly to me.

This guy is not a monster, but I would take him in a second. But then I don't know much, but I do know what I like....

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

...but I do know what I like....

And that is all that matters!

Merry Christmas

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

...but I do know what I like....

And that is all that matters!

+1 beer

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
must be a south idaho mulie.
they get lots of height but rarely get any width.

safari hunter:
that buck looks similar to mine.
mine has more width and more mass, yours has a very nicely symetrical rack even with the one cheater point and good tine length.

anything like these are trophy animals, especially when taken on public ground on your own two feet.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Go on B&C site and down load the score sheet. They tell you step by step and gives you your Gross and net score when done, pretty simple, at least get a rough idea.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
No width, no beam length, average mass. I'd go 40s.

Here are 3 taken in '07. On the right 30" spread, other 2 nasty with some decent mass. Mine's the one on the left.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 185ish. Freaking thing was so heavy he bent my receiver hitch on the Ranger.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote