New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need a bison meat "hunt"
 Login/Join

Picture of dzpoorjr
posted
There are several hunts listed on Ebay that are real reasonable!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's the problem here, too. If I could get some deer in the freezer, this'd not be much of an issue.

Still, Calgary is a bit far to drive, and getting a buffalo carcass on the plane would probably mean extra charges, driving the price of meat up further.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please ... I don't intend to use the word "hunt" as in its common usage here ...

Last year I was able to go to a ranch in Wyoming and shoot a buffalo heiffer for meat ... and it was great. Now I need more, but the ranch is no longer offering spring hunts (too stressful around calving time.)

Two or three of us would like to take 4-6 animals. It was not a hunt, but it was a fun weekend, and now we're scrambling to find an alternative. The price was attractive ($500/heiffer) and the meat was great.

OK, so it's not a "hunt" ... but I was wondering if anyone knew of any possibilities within a day's drive from Nebraska.

Disclaimer: I am a hunter, and have no intention of passing off shooting buffalo in a pasture as challenging or as a sign of my hunting ability. In fact, I'm quite defensive about it ... but the meat is that good.

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
There are farms in Nebraska and Kansas and South Dakota that raise bison.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I just bought a dry cow from a rancher in SE Montana. Send me an email and I can send you his contact info.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
did that last year. it cost us $200 per cow and the meat was awsome. i didnt really care for chasing them around for the hour or two. next time ill tell the rancher what time ill be there and to have the tractor running one shot and be on the road in an hour or two.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you feel about a trip to Dawson Creek,BC. Lots of critters and no licence required! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Derf: Sounds good, What months of the year can you hunt them and is there a certain time when the meat will be best? What about prices and such? What should i bring for gear? Anything else? Thanks, Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a drive from Nebraska, I'm afraid. But I appreciate the information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone's advertised them here in the past. I'm not sure who. You might check Cody's chamber of commerce.

Posts: 83 | Location: Cody, Wy. | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is a place between Butte, Mt. and Missoula Mt. on the right side of the interstate that offers Buffalo "Hunts' which are really shoots to get your meat for 350$.
You can see the herd from the road. I never checked it out further but may soon as the wife can't eat beef and really likes buffalo.
Leep Out:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leep
My wife also cannot eat beef. It makes her sick so all our red meat is wild meat and she loves buffalo meat even better than elk. Hummm I am beginning to think we are related by marriage.

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Utah has a free roaming Bison hunt. Thereare realy wild and it is a very difficult hunt in most of the areas due to limited accesability. Problem is it is a draw and I do not n=know if there are any Non resident tags.

one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
Last price I heard was $400 Canadian
Frans; I have heard they are selling for $200.00 around Grande Praire. I'm going to check into it further in the next couple of weeks.

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leep:

If or when you ever clinch the location,I certaily would appreciate it if you share it.Wouldnt mind harvesting one for the freezer,but dont consider it a hunt,therefore only pay "by the pound"

thanks

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Leep:

If or when you ever clinch the location,I certaily would appreciate it if you share it.Wouldnt mind harvesting one for the freezer,but dont consider it a hunt,therefore only pay "by the pound"

thanks

Yeah thats about the cheapest I have seen or heard of! Would also like the info!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Papershredder
posted Hide Post
I'll post more info for everyone as soon as I get first hand info from the owner of the ranch. I don't like to pass on hearsay as truth. Papershredder

Posts: 157 | Location: Alberta,Canada | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote