Find
Notify
Tools

koplin gunboot III
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

just got back from a 6 day hunt in chicken alaska for caribou, and thought I would post my thoughts on the gun boot III

IT SUCKS, my enfield stock is ruined, the case did not keep rain out and the plastic rubbed two areas of my stock, warping the off side of the receiver, just behind the grip, I went from walnut, to black. The gunboot did not keep my zero, and the terrain was not that rough. This is the last koplin gun case I will ever own, it failed to do anything but hold my gun, the barrel is caked in mud, and was dripping wet when I pulled it out of the boot.

Just thought I would pass along this review of the gunboot so anyone else who uses it knows how little it works. Hope you all have better hunts than I.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DP - tell us about the hunt - caribou, moose, wolves, bears ?? I am leaving tomorrow for a return trip to hunt the area between mile 102 - 120 for caribou / moose / bears - I was there last week and saw four dandy caribou bulls killed, one was really nice - tell us about the good stuff [Big Grin] - thanks - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we saw a shitload of caribou, in the chicken area, well a shitload of killed bou, the only live ones we saw were 5+ mi away, lots of bears and wolves, we got 3 wovles that were dumb enough to walk into camp, and another guy who stayed near us got 2 black bears on the trip out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you camp near the road and use four wheelers to get farther out? That seems to be the most popular method; lots of wheelers there last week. Did you see any grizzlies ? Our group watched a caribou gut pile for several days, saw two wolves but no bear [Frown] The weather was really mild last week, very warm during the day and maybe low fifties at night; we were hoping for much cooler temps, the trees were just changing colors. You mentioned rifle damage, was that to your 375? Bad deal, hope it can be fixed - any photos of the hunt / area? What mile marker were you nearest? Regardless of the problems, that is one beautiful area to see, especially at this time of year - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we used 4 wheelers, we went back 29 mi to camp, then made day trips up 2 mi hill and bullion creek. we left on thursday, and when we got in there were a TON of wheelers and buggies up there, by sun/mon/tue there were very very few others, the only other guys took off as they heard us climb 2mi hill and beat us to 2 bou by about 300 ft, they were still in pj's and sneakers when they shot those bou...yea the damage to my 375 sucks, but on closer inspection it appears that a bit of sanding and some varnish may bring stock back, so it may still be ok.

-edit- we saw 2 boar grizz's and a sow with 2 cubs, the boars were HUGE, possibly the biggest brownies I have ever seen, boardering 10 ft or more, and I left my damn bear tag at the house, I realy kicked my self over that one

[ 09-04-2003, 02:31: Message edited by: Dark Paladin ]