New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can I expect in panguatch utah?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I got drawn for utah, we'll be hunting the panguatch area. I'm trying to lose some weight and gonna add cardio, am interested in what I can expect as far as terrain, types of shots etc.

thanks guys.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Lots of Mormons.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
All I can remember about the town is that the local KOA sucks. What a dump. Would never stay there again.

Went through Brice Canyon while there. Beautiful.

Other than the canyon itself, I don't remember the terrain being too bad. Mostly rolling hills, grassland and scrub junipers. Never hunted it, but if I was going, I'd bring good binocs, a flat shooting rifle, and comfortable walking boots.

What are you going after?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you hunting and which unit? Elk on the Dutton or the Panguitch Lake is different. Deer? you can hunt either unit this year (the last you will be able to do so).

Small town with great people, no matter the religion.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of Mormons

rotflmo

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my tag in the mail, not 5 minutes ago! Says Area: Southern 1505. It is buck. we're going to be there for the whole 8 day season it looks like.

I don't mind mormons so much, they usually have some hot chicks, I'm going to hunt so other than hellos won't probably be spending lots of time visiting. Smiler

Talked with my stepdad today, he hunted there a few years, said about the same thing, mild terrain, bring warm clothes, good boots, I'm planning to take my 308 norma. He's taking his 257 roberts improved.

We're probably going to try to get a room there or rent a house maybe, split the cost etc. I'm excited. Thanks for the information guys.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too far from there is Otter Creek Reservoir; we saw antelope across the water from us there one year. The wine selection might be a little thin, stock up along the way. On the other hand, find a Smith's Food King and look in the dairy section for "squeaky cheese" from Cache Valley, otherwise known as curds. Goes nice with red wine...

Almost forgot. If you go in September, Utah peaches are as good as peaches get.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I'd hunt the mountains East of Panguitch-- Mt Dutton. That is a steep, rocky, nasty mountain that produces some good deer every year. Not mild where the mature bucks live.

Panguitch Lake area to the West is more mild and easy to hunt physically. It is dense cedar/PJ.

Just know they had a rough winter in the area year before last. The hunting is tougher than it was a couple years ago, but the success rates still run over 35%. You should have a good time in some great country. Killing a mature buck will take work.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you drew a southern region mule deer permit that hunt is only 5 days for the 2011 Oct rifle season. You may want to make sure just what permit you have drawn.

That said, the Panguitch area can be a very productive area for deer and is a fine place to elk hunt. As others have posted, the rugged Dutton area, east of the town of Panguitch is quality deer & elk country as well.

All of that region has some of the most beautiful landscapes in the west, from Bryce Canyon to the Cedar Breaks and the Escalantes to the east and Zion in the south. You'll have a memorable hunting experience whereever you end up making your camp.

Good luck!

Jim in AZ