New
Find
Notify
Tools

COMPACT SEMI-AUTO FOR HUNTING
 Login/Join

<rlineb>
posted
anyone know of a good compact semi auto for hunting and accuracy of such?How good is the accuracy of the Remington model 7 in 308?all info appreciated..

<gamecock>
posted
Win., Mod 100 in .308

<Eric Leonard>
posted
my sons model 7SS in 308 shoots the 165 sierra with RL15 REAL TIGHT.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were dead-set on a small autoloader I'd consider a 6X45mm target-grade barrel for the Mini-14, use an SSK scope mount with the front end of the mount drilled and tapped into the Mini-14 receiver or get the Ranch model with integral mounts. It's a lot of money for what you'd get. On the other hand, it would be legal for deer and antelope in most places and effective to 200 yards if you're careful where you place your shots.

Tom

Posts: 14391 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
My #7 shoots very well,after I removed the tabs from the stock.Browning makes a very fine auto loader.
1geejay

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
You don't say what you're going to be hunting or in what kind of terrain, so it's somewhat hard to make a relative recommendation.

If it's for deer and/or hogs and you're not on some sendero or in the mountains, Ruger's Deerfield carbine in .44 Magnum is a good choice. I'd steer away from their Mini-14s (.223) and Mini-30s (7.62x39); though both would do in a pinch.

For shots a little further out, the Winchester 100 recommended by Glenn, though no longer made, is a true keeper (if you can find one).

Also, Remington makes a carbine-length 7400 in .30-06. You'll hear a bunch of horror stories, and a few love stories, where this rifle is concerned. Personally, I'd have to shoot one before I bought it to make sure the individual unit wasn't a dog with my preferred load relative to both accuracy and action function.

As for the Browning BAR, since you specified "compact" I would stay away from it. It's an accurate, but long, heavy beast.

Hope this helps,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning has a new BAR lightweight carbine with an alloy receiver and a 20" barrel. I handled one recently at a gunshop and it felt good. I have an old BAR in .308 that I put a Bell&Carlson synthetic stock on and it is very accurate although heavy. The experience I have had with several Win 100's is that they will tend to jam at the worst times, usually the ones for sale have this problem. The .44 mag lacks punch at anything over 100 yards although very light and handy. I would recommend the BAR lightweight for troublefree operation.
Ralph

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Russians make hunting semiautos, also in 9.3x64,here is a link http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/weapon.shtml

Posts: 2080 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had 4 M-100 Wins in 308 & still have 2. One is a carbine that is a wonderfully light handy gun to carry & shoot but does not shoot better than about 3" with a peep sight however for running whitetails it's far more accurate than I am. I also have a rifle that after bedding the front lug shoots consistent 1 1/2" groups with a 2 1/2X scope. I have seen lots of bolts that won't do that. Now for the strange part, only 1 of the 4 M-100win would cycle consistent off a sand bag, yet off hand all worked perfect. 1 would shoot psp, rn, & flat points, full charge or down loaded. 1 would shoot full power psp only. The other 2 were in between. I consider the 100 to be excellent guns, not as good working as my BAR but FAR lighter & nicer to handle.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remingtons 7400 or 742 carbine in 30.06, 18" barrel I think! I know where I live the 742 used to rule the woods. Now most are switched over to bolt guns though.

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just sold my 7400 in �06. Buy a 7600 if You must, but my advice would be: get a bolt.

If You really have to have a Semi, and military autos are out, buy Heckler & Koch ( SL 6 or 7, whichever is in .308, or H & K 770 or 940 ). Of course production has stopped, so You have to look for some fool who is willing to part with his.

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<rlineb>
posted
personally,from past experience i've had a egyptian MAADI AK,it shot 2"or better groups(open sighted) at 100yds.of the bench(witnessed),this weapon was "oh my god"reliable and i think it might be a good rifle for deer within exceptable range.had many 30-30's in the past,one win94 with open sights that at 100yds.off the bench 5 shot group shot within 1 1/4"(witnessed,yes i've got 20/05 vision)(damn i wish i'd kept that rifle),had one guy come over from another bench that also watched through his scope say"damn,i just got this 25/06 built and that thing shoots better than it does",lucky for me i guess but got into a bad situation and had to sell it,plus for some reason it would hold 7 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber,odd but good little carbine,no excellent carbine...