New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bison hunt rec....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a fun bison hunt on more than a pasture. Anyone have a rec to check out?

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for a free range hunt or a ranch hunt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Free range if possible, but a ranch hunt is fine provided it is not a drive by shooting.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Randy Routier will be a good place to start.

He offers some good hunts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who has Bison hunts on a 4000 acre ranch south of Billings Montana. I can send you his brochure if you pm your email to me.

Posts: 253 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
randy routier is #1 place not possible to go wrong there

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat - I can steer you in the right direction. Email me, and I can give you the details.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Go to the Yukon on a winter hunt for Wood bison with Tim Mervyn's outfit or a winter bison hunt for plains bison in NE British Columbia with Sikanni River Outfitters.

Gorgeous country and real wild bison. A unique adventure and beats the hell out of a ranch hunt.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
So, dogcat, what interesting old fashioned buffalo cartridge will you be using on your hunt?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
randy routier is #1 place not possible to go wrong there

Agree 100% they are a class act!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive looked around for about a year , first while my Sharps was being made and now while I have had to redo this house after the flood, and I think both Randys hunt and this one both are good.

https://jimriverguideservice.com

The Comstock Lodge in Nebraska gets good marks too dogcat. My wife liked the looks of it as it had some pheasant hunting opportunity and most of all its close to home for her too.

There is also some bison hunting in Alaska near Delta Junction too that doesn't require a draw permit that I recall.

Unfortunately I have not been to any of them yet.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
South Dakota has a bison hunt in Custer State Park, not sure of the size or how fenced it is.

You have to draw and they are eligible for Boone and Crockett if that is a thing for you.

Doesn't take a lot of points to draw, because they are $6500 plus (I think).

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The fee is $6,006, only successful applicants will be charged.

https://gfp.sd.gov/trophy-buffalo/

There you go.

Might take a couple years to get drawn. Not sure.

According to the odds page, 18 non-residents applied for 6 non-resident tags, as long as they had a couple points.

That's pretty fair odds.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with Rouiter I sent him 4 emails a couple years ago trying to set up a bison hunt and he replied to just 1, 3 months later.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Randy Routier doc and if I did not get back to you I either did not get your messages or they went to my junk folder and I did not see them. I apologize because this is what we do and I try my very best at communicating with potential clients. Yes we do Buffalo hunts on a large private low fence ranch in northwest South Dakota. We can only take so many Buffalo per year and these hunts have been booking off of the charts because they are not a small pen shoot and we actually go out and hunt. I would not call it free range but the Buffalo go where they want to when they want to but saying that they do not qualify for anything besides SCI.

quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
Good luck with Rouiter I sent him 4 emails a couple years ago trying to set up a bison hunt and he replied to just 1, 3 months later.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:
This is Randy Routier doc and if I did not get back to you I either did not get your messages or they went to my junk folder and I did not see them. I apologize because this is what we do and I try my very best at communicating with potential clients. Yes we do Buffalo hunts on a large private low fence ranch in northwest South Dakota. We can only take so many Buffalo per year and these hunts have been booking off of the charts because they are not a small pen shoot and we actually go out and hunt. I would not call it free range but the Buffalo go where they want to when they want to but saying that they do not qualify for anything besides SCI.

quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:

fair enough I filled my wish but may call on you in the future

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Appreciate the help!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lamounts in New Mexico is as close to the real thing in Bison hunting..They even offer a horse back hunt, that's pretty neat. and they do a spot and stalk, or foot hunt...They have a web page Im pretty sure.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote