New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for my Canadian Friends?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a friend from the Netherlands that is an avid hunter. After several years of trying to emmigrate to North America to start a new life, he and his young family have been accepted into Canada and he is now living in the Calgary region. His name is Frans Diepstraten. He is a resident and has all of his paperwork etc...... to go hunting. He has a PAL as well.

Frans is looking forward to spring black bear season but has been in Alberta for just a few weeks now and could use a helping hand to get pointed in the right direction. Can someone in this region please give me a bit of advice on how he could get started, where to go etc...... I supect he has antlered game in mind as well.
Thanks. Keith

[ 03-15-2003, 23:00: Message edited by: Keith Atcheson ]

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If he plans to use a firearm he must obtain a PAL in order to acquire and posses firearms in canada.This usually takes several months to obtain so if he has only been in the country a few weeks he probably hasn't done this yet.He must then find a place to hunt which is most easily done by obtaining maps to determine the location of public land or private land for which he can contact the owners for permission.The alberta association of municipal districts and counties in edmonton(780-436-9375) can help in obtaining maps.He should then check with fish and wildlife to learn the draw system and begin applying as much of the best hunting in alberta is done with tags that are drawn for.It can take several years to draw the best tags.It will also help to join a local fish and game club as this is a good way to meet fellow hunters and perhaps find hunting partners.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith,

I communicate with a very good successful hunter in Fort McMurray Alberta. I shot him a message to see if he will help you out.

Cheers,

Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will vouch for Frans. I've conversed via email with him for several years on another group..

He is an experienced dedicated hunter.

TIA.

Woody Williams

Posts: 1 | Location: Newburgh , IN | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I will echo what Woody says; Frans is an all-around good guy, and is a determined hunter.

Hi Woody, and welcome to AR.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, you may want to reread the original post.

Bear hunting down in the southwest corner of the province is great. A tag is not even required if you have obtained written permission from the landowner or are a landowner yourself. Tags for public land run about $15. Local fish and wildlife offices would be a great start as well as the local fish and game chapters.

I would say congratulations to this gentleman as he has moved into one of the greatest big game havens in the Americas and quite possibly the world. We could also use more pro gun/hunting persons anytime and he is quite welcome.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck nelson -I did read the part of the post where Keith mentioned that the fellow probably wants to hunt antlered game as well.That is why I mentioned the part about learning about our draw and putting in applications.Apparently you missed that part of the original post.As far as obtaining a PAL and getting maps,permission,meeting fellow hunters, etc. is concerned, it would apply to black bear hunting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, Keith's original post says that he has all the necessary hunting paperwork including his PAL.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck nelson-If you look at keiths post it was edited after my first reply.He added the PAL part after I had mentioned it.As far as having all his hunting papers,I am assuming keith means that the fellow has obtained a WIN card and a widlife certificate and license for black bear.That will allow him to hunt black bear this spring but like the rest of us he will have to wait for the rest of the necessary paperwork(licences,regulations,draw forms etc) to become available before hunting other game in 2003.

[ 03-16-2003, 05:02: Message edited by: stubblejumper ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper, gotcha

sorry,
Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith, have him drop me an email, or he can call me at 780 479 4732 and we'll talk about the best bear hunting places in the province. Has he ever hunted bear before? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I don't think he has hunted bear yet. I'll give him your contact info. Thanks to all for your input. Frans has been with us here in Mt. for a few days had some real adventure yesterday. Showed him 500+ elk on winter range 15 minutes from Butte, Hundruds of Pronghorn, got stuck in the mud and showed him how St. Patrick's Day is celebrated in Butte. Frans has jumped over lots of hurdles to get to Canada to start a new life and it takes alot of courage to do what he has done. Thanks for your input again. I'm sure Frans will be registering on AR soon.

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Frans sent me some pictures of big Russian boars, but he has never mentioned bears. He shoots a 9.3X62 by the way.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, we'll have that in common, anyway. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

As Keith mentioned, I just returned from visiting him in MT. Thanks for introducing me Keith! I've never seen so many elk on one hill! Truely incredible.

Jim, Woody, nice to meet you guys out here!

I haven't hunted bear before. My experience is limited to roe deer, red deer, and boar, as far as big game is concerned. I've hunted in several places in Europe: Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Estonia, England and Scotland. On all of these hunts, either through a lease system, or because it was a paid-for hunt (guided and D-I-Y), the hunting area was clear.

I've been staring at the Alberta hunting regs, and that diminuitive map that comes with it. I've taken a couple of hikes in Kananaskis county, visited a Fish and Wildlife office and bought some maps of areas West of Calgary that could be of interest. Still, the vastness of the country is overwhelming. That's why it would be nice to be able to discuss with a "local" what the do's and don't are when looking for an area to hunt spring blackies.

Thanks for the offers of help and suggestions so far. I'm off to BC for three days to pick up two of my rifles from a gunsmith that did some work on them. I'll take you up on your offers when I get back!!

We're looking forward to making a new life for ourselves here, and some good hunting and fishing is going to be an important part of that. In the mean time, in the Netherlands, hunters need to prove that they have been actively involved in hunting deer and/or boar *in the Netherlands* over the last three years, or give up their rifles. Their hunting licence will no longer cover them....looks like I got out just in time.

Thanks for the words of welcome, I hope I will be able to contribute from my (european) experience.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
welcome to alberta frans!!! I am not sure on black bear hunting down south but the north is great for spring bear..Once the snow starts to go the pipeline right of ways start to green up first,..That is always a good place to start ..Good luck.

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote