New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom .270 winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just ordered a custom 270 winchester barrel for my T/C Encore, from the T/C custom shop (Foxridge). I ordered a matte blue finsh, 26" barrel with a tapper to .725 dia. at the muzzle, with an 11 degree target crown. Should be a shooter. I am using this primarily as a deer gun, but hope to use it on bigger critters in the future. I went with the 26" tube mainly because it doesn't add much lenth to an Encore, but also to get every ounce of velocity I can out of it since I'll probably be shooting factory ammo for a while longer.
What is a good factory ammo for the .270win? I was thinking of trying the Hornady custom 130gr flat base soft point.
It's going to be a long 8-10 weeks waiting for this barrel.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, has anyone used the 140gr Trophy Bonded bullet or the 130gr barnes X, for game larger than deer? How did they preform?

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<gundog>
posted
Mark,

I shoot Hornady Custom 130's in both the Spire point & SST. I have a 22" barrel and chrony'd the exact velocity that Hornady prints on the box. I don't have one with me (I'm at work), but I think it was 3010 fps. I have also used the 140 boatail Horandy Custom as well with good success as well. Hornady Custom ammo is very accurate in my rifle. I think you'll be happy with it.

Good shooting!

Mark
a.k.a. gundog.

[This message has been edited by gundog (edited 08-15-2001).]

<Chris OR>
posted

I have use the federal premium loads with the 150 gr partition. Shot very well in my rifle and penetrated full length on a decent sized blacktail buck. I've shot plenty with the old winchester silver tips as well. Doesn't realy make much diff. if you punch them in the ribs. Best of luck, Chris

<Alaskan>
posted
Mark G,

I don't have much of a suggestion for a factory round, but I too own a T/C Encore in a .270 and I can guarentee you will like it. Mine is a 20" barrel in a carbine setup from the custom shop as well. I had a heavy barrel made due to the short length but I use it for sheep hunting and it weighs 6 1/2 lbls scoped, and can shoot MOA always but that is with a hand load. I am sure you will be quite happy with that barrel.