Find
Notify
Tools

A useful gadget......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
Finally found a sling that works for when the hills get steep and the snow gets deep. It's always hard to keep the rifle from slipping off your shoulder, and sometimes you have to choose between hitting the rifle on a rock, or yourself on a rock.

Anyway, I bought a couple, and they seem to work as advertised. A decent (very decent) sling in regular mode, as well as a decent "get up the hill or thru the brush" mode.

Take a look, and tell me what you think:

http://www.scenicoutdoors.com/Split_Fire_Sling.htm

FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
A sling slipping off of my shoulder is a problem I admit but that sling looks slow to get off and is not a marksmans sling for all it's bulk.

That guy in the pic looks somewhat like me! His nose is bigger and I have no dimple. Not such a big pot either since the diet worked. Same haircut.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
No, it's not a marksman sling, by any stretch of anyone's imagination. Then again, I never learned to use a sling, so that's no big loss in my case. But it's actually not too bad to get off, much easier, for sure, than when you have a single sling diagonally on your back. I just detest wriggling in and out of that position.

The biggest negative I have found is that the Velcro is LOUD when you go from single mode to double mode. Of course, that does not matter a great deal to me, as I don't plan to use the double mode unless I am in "travel" gear, and then there is usually shale clattering in all directions, anyway [Wink] . Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I sew a big button onto the shoulder of my coats.
it holds the sling in place.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be great for climbing when I am hunting. Leave your hands free for support. I've seen a few home made versions of this done with web slings, I've always thought it was a good idea for certain situations. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote