Notify
Tools

For Kev: Dreaming of Alaska...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Kev,

I didn't want to post this on the thread about 'big bear rifles' as it was 'off-topic'...

But yes, I've had my lil'drop bow on the beach. Here's a picture of me picking up a hunting buddy. He had partially fallen down a cliff and ended up at the waters edge...

...it's not clear in the picture, but those rocks behind him go nearly straight up a few hundred feet. He was literally stuck between a 'rock and a hard (water) place. In fact, I didn't have to trim up the motor because the rocks continued under water for anothe 30ft easy.

Here's the boat on a wood cutting venture for a recent 'boy's night out' cabin trip...

...the bow is down, and one guy is fixing a chain saw on it. The other guys are cutting down that fallen tree and we loaded the wood right onto the boat. (It's low tide)

Here's the boat 'high & dry' during the evening low tide...

The orange floating poly-pro line you can see is what I used to tie her off to shore with before the tide went out. I had checked the tide book, and the next mornings tide was higher than that nights. An important point when doing things like this. When you get up here, you'll learn the importance of the almighty tide book!!!

When you come up in August, I hope you stop by Sitka.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Thanks for the pics BW, I was talking about this to my friend who is coming up to Alaska with me this August. We will rent a motor home so we can check out the area with ease.Also it will be peck fishing for silvers, My friend and I were talking about this,I told him basically what you showed. If you land at high tide it will be beached at low and will just have to wait for maybe 6 hours or so for the tide to come in,tide book will say. Also I am looking at a small home with a beach front,what do most people do with there boats, tie it off deep and have a small skiff to get to beach? or if it is deep small dock would work?. These are things I will have to learn and boating in general, as this is the way SE hunts and fish, I know you know your stuff correct me if I am wrong but you make your living on the sea, I will be a real green horn up there. I hope your friend was okay that cliff look very serious. That boat design with all that room in the front will come in handy for anything you can load in or out, you could even have a ATV there, BW how does it handle rougher sea's and waves.? Thanks again,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Kev,

This boat has a decent amount of 'vee' at the bow...

...and has handled the rough stuff fairly well for a drop bow.

Here's the side shot of the boat beached, sorry it's so dark...

As far as having a dock, it seems to depend mostly on the area, and the rules. Unfortunately, I don't know all the local and Fed rules for having a private dock. Many folks use what's known as an 'out-haul' to pull their boats to and from shore. It basically involves anchoring a float out near where you want the boat to stay, then running a continuous line (loop?) from land through a pulley at the float and back to land. So you come ashore, off-load, clip the bow eye to the line, and pull it out. That technique is locally called 'indian anchoring', not an out-haul.

BTW, I don't work on the sea, I just play there.

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
BTW Kev, it got little cold last week. You'll learn to enjoy this part of S.E. Alaska too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy cow Brian. How many times has your harbor iced up like that? Do you like your current boat better than your last? I know its give and take on needs or wants but I was curious.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Southeast Alaska, I was in Ketchikan for a couple of weeks one summer and the normal tide there was 20 feet, WOW!

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

BW, thanks for the information and the help, I will look more into that out-haul technique,that is what I wonder about the drop haul glad to hear they work fine on open water.I have alot to learn,Thanks again for the information,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote